PDA

View Full Version : Sudden readonly filesystem and jittery mouse

JayemdaeT
10th March 2007, 12:13 AM
Hi all,

I have a Shuttle machine with a dual core AMD processor using the 2.6.18-1.2239.fc5smp kernel. Intermittently and without warning, I will receive a IO error saying the filesystem is read only. When this happens I can't save anything or properly shutdown because of it. I am using Reiserfs.

About as intermittently (though I am suspecting it maybe somehow related) I will have times where my mouse cursor will stop sliding across the screen and "jump" across the screen to my mouse movement. I cannot do anything to reset it when this happens but to reboot.

Anyone have any of these problems or have heard of a cure?

Any help is very appreciated.

wneumann
10th March 2007, 05:39 AM
The system will make the file system read only when it detects a disk error. The fact that you are also having mouse problems at the same time suggests that it may be a soft error caused by an interrupt conflict or something like that, which is better news than having to replace a disk. But anyway, you should probably make sure data is backed up and check your disk to see what was going on. If you have smartmontools installed do (as root):
smartctl -a /dev/hda
(replace /dev/hda if that is not your primary drive) and see what it tells you. If you don't have smartmontools installed do
yum install smartmontools
Then read the manual ("man smartctl") to see the tests it can do.

JayemdaeT
12th March 2007, 07:08 PM
Thank you wneumann for the response.

Below I have posted the response from smartctl. I am not sure what these means but it appears the hd doesn't support SMART?

# /usr/sbin/smartctl -a /dev/sda
smartctl version 5.33 [i386-redhat-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-4 Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

Device: ATA ST3160811AS Version: 3.AA
Serial number: 6PT0G7LH
Device type: disk
Local Time is: Mon Mar 12 11:05:07 2007 PDT
Device does not support SMART
Request Sense failed, [Input/output error]

Error Counter logging not supported

Error Events logging not supported

[GLTSD (Global Logging Target Save Disable) set. Enable Save with '-S on']