PDA

View Full Version : System's sluggish thanks to IOWait CPU usage - any solutions?

evad
9th March 2007, 08:05 PM
I'm experiencing great sluggishness because of IOWait CPU usage on my office laptop Dell Inspiron 640m (specs available on my website). Quite often, single click or typing text in editor causes entire system stop for few seconds, and during that time I can see IOWait CPU usage very high on GNOME System Monitor applet.

I never had that issue before, it started to happening some time ago - maybe after some system update. I have also changed swap partition on that machine recently from /dev/sda6 to /dev/sda3, but I also changed /etc/fstab entries to make sure Fedora knows where new swap partition is, so I rather don't believe this is a reason for such sluggishness...

I tried to google for solution, but didn't find anything particular, unfortunately. If anyone resolved issue like that before, I'd be grateful for help... Thanks in advance.

Jman
13th March 2007, 05:07 AM
How much RAM do you have, and did you change the size of the swap partition?

free -m

evad
13th March 2007, 12:33 PM
How much RAM do you have, and did you change the size of the swap partition?

free -m

[evad@dell640m ~]$ free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 1001 755 245 0 44 412
-/+ buffers/cache: 298 702
Swap: 2047 0 2047

jeffmacdonald7
13th March 2007, 12:58 PM
check your disk throughput.

# hdparm -Tt /dev/hda

evad
13th March 2007, 01:01 PM
check your disk throughput.

# hdparm -Tt /dev/hda

[root@dell640m ~]# hdparm -Tt /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
Timing cached reads: 9460 MB in 2.00 seconds = 4741.38 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 114 MB in 3.01 seconds = 37.81 MB/sec

Actually, I've had these results roughly same all the time, and I didn't have such problems before either. On top of that, at home I'm using another Dell laptop, with the same hardware configuration, and I don't experience IOWait problems there at all. Pretty weird, and annoying. :(