PDA

View Full Version : How to make Red Hat desktop/multimedia friendly?

brjoon1021
9th March 2007, 05:46 PM
I have been looking on the web for a tips page or tutorial on how make Red Hat derivative OS's (CentOS and Scientific Linux) multimedia friendly. I really have not found much, but I have found considerably more for Fedora (see link in Q. #1 below).

I have been using some edgy distributions that crash from time to time so I am now looking to enhance the stability of CentOS and Scientific Linux (the latest versions of both) with multimedia capabilities. They are sledgehammer stable but will not do much of anything as far as playing DVD movies, audio CDs (even), MP3s and are pretty insufficient for any A/V streaming from the web. I am still learning the Linux ropes but I do not necessarily want to give up on these two without trying to work through the setups.

1. Do the tutorials such as "http://www.howtoforge.com/the_perfect_desktop_fedora_core6" on how to make Fedora a terrific desktop apply to Red Hat and its offspring? Can I use the same repositories? If not, are there RH repositories that would have the codecs, players and all that I need to be able to stream Windows Media, Real, Quicktime from websites and play DVD movies, MP3s, CDs, and all of that kind of thing?

2. I would like to use Smart instead of Yumex unless you have recommendations to the contrary. Is there a way to let Yum/up2date handle the security and bugfixes from RH/CentOS/Scientific Linux but let Smart handle upgrading basic apps and adding apps (especially once I have added multimedia repositories - back to Question #1)?

-- your thoughts would be a lot of help. If you think that this is a pretty hard undertaking, then I may just deal with the crashes of some of the really user-friendly distros.

Thanks in advance,

B.

dishawjp
9th March 2007, 06:13 PM
While Fedora .rpm files may work on RHEL, you run the risk of hurting its stability.

As a suggestion... I run an enterprise desktop to have for work and as a place to backup data files I'd rather not lose. But Fedora is my playground. I would seriously suggest that you might be better off considering a similar plan. Keep CentOS or RHEL for work and stability and install Fedora for everything else. That way, it's no big deal to overwrite your Fedora partitions when the lastest and greatest new version comes out, and before upgrading, just mount your Fedora partitions from your "stable" install to grab any files you may need. Once you've upgraded, just mount the "stable" install from Fedora and grab copies of your files back.

Anyway, that's my $.02

Jim

mnisay
9th March 2007, 06:18 PM
convert them to fedora :)

joe.pelayo
9th March 2007, 06:21 PM
RHEL and its derivatives were intended for production environments, therefore multimedia capabilities are not required (wanted?) because they unnecessarily decrease the productivity/stability level.
So, if you want multimedia capabilities you'd better use something 'designed' to provide them (Fedora, Ubuntu, PCLOS, etc).