PDA

View Full Version : running other users programs as root

Lucy
9th March 2007, 01:07 AM
Hello - I have had some troubles with programs I have set up on my FC6 over the last week or so. I am able to run the programs when I log in as root and cd to the dir where they are installed but when I try to run them as the user I installed as I get a variety of issues.

Obviouly I need to do some reading here to find out whats going on but I am a little short on time, can anyone advise me a good place to start to better my understanding of the situation?

Thanks

lazlow
9th March 2007, 01:30 AM
Lucy

You just need to change the permission on the programs. From the gui (as root): right click on the program's startup icon, click properties, click permissions, make sure the execute is checked, it may also need write permissions.

Are these programs you compiled yourself (separate issue)?

Good Luck
Lazlow

Lucy
9th March 2007, 10:21 PM
Thanks, I installed them using

make and then make install, there was no config.

This doesnt seem to have helped with the problem I have checked with the GUI who owns the programs and they are owned in my user account (not root) when I say I installed as root I mean I went su and installed in the console from within my account.

lazlow
9th March 2007, 11:17 PM
Lucy

Do you understand the difference between su and su - ? This may or may not be an issue in this case. Also you do know that ./configure and configure are not the same?

Lazlow

Lucy
10th March 2007, 12:21 AM
Yes I know about su and su - and configure.

I am (obviosuly) new to this and learning a lot just by messing about, the annoying this is needing to boot into windows to research online and then go back to fedora to play around. I have reset a thousand times today!

I have gathered that the program runs when I actually log in as room in the terminal no matter what directory I am inside of but does not work at all when logged in as a user.

I have mapped to my sbin as a user and this solved another problem I was having but I am still struggling with this, I think that this the last thing I want to get sorted before I am set up as I want to be and read to start playing around in a non-setting up sort of way.

Thanks for any help