PDA

View Full Version : "so how can I play WMV files?" said the noob

oveis86
9th March 2007, 12:11 AM
Hi,

I know this is a repeated question, I have searched but I couldnt find the answer I was looking for. so here we go again:

- How can I play WMV files?

I have Totem on my FC6, which says it doesnt have the codec to play it.
I have also downloaded the famous mplayer plugin, it plays WMVs online within Mozilla, but lets face it, its a terrible player! and I dont know if it has the ability to play WMV off my hard drive.

so I apperciate any help that makes my FC6 run WMVs from hard drive... thank you very much in advance.

oveis86
9th March 2007, 12:24 AM
ok. I figure out if I install the maplyer GUI i can play WMVs fine from my hard drive. but in the opening of the file it gives an Error message saying "Error: Could not open required DirectShow codec wmvdmod.dll".. but afterward it plays the WMV fine. whats with the error?

AlexDudko
9th March 2007, 12:30 AM
I use mplayer. I think this is the best of mediaplayers on the coverage of extentions. I installed it from source codes. Everything works. There are 3 packages to be installed: the mplayer itself, pack of codecs, a skin (optional - works also from console).

Wayne
9th March 2007, 12:32 AM
Try VLC from from freshrpms or livna

Wayne

AlexDudko
9th March 2007, 12:35 AM
ok. I figure out if I install the maplyer GUI i can play WMVs fine from my hard drive. but in the opening of the file it gives an Error message saying "Error: Could not open required DirectShow codec wmvdmod.dll".. but afterward it plays the WMV fine. whats with the error?

And what about the sound? This happens usually, when either sound or video is not played.

sdowney717
9th March 2007, 01:02 AM
mplayer and mplayer plugin and all the codecs including the restricted ones.
Also remove totem, as in uninstall it.
And then you type in about:config in the prowser and add in 2 lines to handle mms streaming. Search and you will find the details.

oveis86
9th March 2007, 01:51 AM
thanks for the replies guys.

I have the sound and video both, but i still get that Error message.
now that you mention it, my musics qualit are not that good in FC comparing to windows. there is a noise always playing in the background, which is not fro mthe files and not from my headphones. any suggestions?

I have 3 mplayer thing installed : GUI, program tiself, and the plugins

and why do i remove the totem again?

Dies
9th March 2007, 01:52 AM

Easy way:

http://atrpms.net/dist/common/w32codec/

Download the first one on that page and double click it to install, then restart mplayer and you *should* be good to go.

oveis86
9th March 2007, 02:00 AM
oh wow.
thanks Dies. the error message is gone with that package.

any idea about that tiny noise all over my sounds?

AlexDudko
9th March 2007, 02:08 AM
What codecs do you use? Download essential-20061022 from the mplayer's page and unpack it to /usr/local/lib/codecs
after compilling of mplayer they will be found automatically. It works on quite a number of different PC's.

Dies
9th March 2007, 02:21 AM
oh wow.
thanks Dies. the error message is gone with that package.

any idea about that tiny noise all over my sounds?

Right click on the player window, select Preferences and make sure your settings make sense and maybe experiment a little.

Here's my settings, in case they work for you:

Dies
9th March 2007, 02:22 AM
What codecs do you use? Download essential-20061022 from the mplayer's page and unpack it to /usr/local/lib/codecs
after compilling of mplayer they will be found automatically. It works on quite a number of different PC's.

That's what the package I linked to is.