PDA

View Full Version : Pup killed Gnome! Murder mystery!

Thecowking
8th March 2007, 08:12 PM
And he killed Kmod-nvidia too!

This evening I got home from work, popped the lid off a cool Tiger and sat down to an evening of gaming with my special friends Gnome, Kmod-nvidia and a nice bit of Wine. I'd even invited that hottie WoW.

Well Pup showed up and asked if he could update some of the guys while I read the forums, "Sure!", Said I. So Pup bumbled about doing his thing while I read some rants and so on. Then suddenly Pup was done, he took his leave, collected my old mates and left me with the new ones.

But all was not well. Suddenly WoW couldn't come round, Wine was just hopeless and worse, my long time graphics card would no longer speak to the drivers! And to cap it all Gnome now will load up as if nothing in the world was wrong, and then as soon as he's done, he throws a white screen in my face! Sure when I ctrl-alt-backspace I get a swift glimpse of my desktop before the login screen reappears, but it's just not enough.

I did what any normal man would do, I swore for about a minute and then kicked the PC hard.

Then I spent another minute swearing because I think I've broken a toe.

That's when I decided to get down to business. Quick as a(swift) fox I booted into KDE, (Ah KDE, like an ugly relative that's still there when you need them), opened up a Konsole and yum remove kmod-nvidia like it was going out of fashion. and found an old version of it and threw that at my machine.

But alas, the gfx card still can't see it! Frirewing's walkthrough (such a help in times past) returned errors like:

[root@localhost ~]# service nvidia-glx restart
nvidia-glx: unrecognized service

So I stand here, a humbled man, amidst the wreckage of my life and I ask:

How can I fix this?

JN4OldSchool
8th March 2007, 08:17 PM
boot into the old kernel yet?

Thecowking
8th March 2007, 08:23 PM
boot into the old kernel yet?
Yup. Gave me an Xserver error and wiped my Xorg.conf when I entered the old fixermiroo program.

Luckily I am a smart monkey and have a back up in my home directory of my stable xorg which I plan to use when I get the whole shebang working again.

JN4OldSchool
8th March 2007, 08:25 PM
I wish yum could utilize an "undo" button...good luck...

Thecowking
8th March 2007, 08:27 PM
I wish that too. I'm not even certain a re-install will help if it's the packages that are wonky.

Thecowking
8th March 2007, 08:58 PM
Hmm just tried everything again and now I get this when I yum install kmod-nvidia et al:

WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/2.6.19-1.2911.6.5.fc6/weak-updates/nvidia/nvidia.ko: No such file or directory
Installing: xorg-x11-drv-nvidia ######################### [2/3]
FATAL: Module nvidia not found.
Installing: xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs-32b ######################### [3/3]

Which I'm not certain is better or worse

Dies
8th March 2007, 10:39 PM
Hmm just tried everything again and now I get this when I yum install kmod-nvidia et al:

WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/2.6.19-1.2911.6.5.fc6/weak-updates/nvidia/nvidia.ko: No such file or directory
Installing: xorg-x11-drv-nvidia ######################### [2/3]
FATAL: Module nvidia not found.
Installing: xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs-32b ######################### [3/3]

Which I'm not certain is better or worse

You typically get that when the kernel you're currently running is not the same as the one those packages are intended for.

Can you post the output of:

uname -a

and

rpm -qa 'kernel*' --queryformat "%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}.%{ARCH}\n"|sort

Are you on the newest kernel?

Thecowking
8th March 2007, 10:45 PM
Well there was a kernel update this morning, so I presume yes.

[root@localhost ~]# uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.19-1.2911.6.4.fc6 #1 SMP Sat Feb 24 14:03:48 EST 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

and
[root@localhost ~]# rpm -qa 'kernel*' --queryformat "%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}.%{ARCH}\n"|sort
kernel-2.6.19-1.2911.6.4.fc6.x86_64
kernel-2.6.19-1.2911.6.5.fc6.x86_64
kernel-headers-2.6.19-1.2911.6.5.fc6.x86_64

This will probably turn out to be some amazingly trivial error I missed due to the fact I'm a newb and so on. But hey it'll teach me not to mess with my system when it's stable. I swore I'd not touch anything once I got it stable, but the pup is so tempting!

wait no, could be old kernel, I've booted into both a few times. Hmm let me get back to you on that one

Dies
8th March 2007, 10:59 PM
Well there was a kernel update this morning, so I presume yes.

[root@localhost ~]# uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.19-1.2911.6.4.fc6 #1 SMP Sat Feb 24 14:03:48 EST 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

and
[root@localhost ~]# rpm -qa 'kernel*' --queryformat "%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}.%{ARCH}\n"|sort
kernel-2.6.19-1.2911.6.4.fc6.x86_64
kernel-2.6.19-1.2911.6.5.fc6.x86_64
kernel-headers-2.6.19-1.2911.6.5.fc6.x86_64

This will probably turn out to be some amazingly trivial error I missed due to the fact I'm a newb and so on. But hey it'll teach me not to mess with my system when it's stable. I swore I'd not touch anything once I got it stable, but the pup is so tempting!

wait no, could be old kernel, I've booted into both a few times. Hmm let me get back to you on that one

uname -a shows you're running 6.4 and the driver you're installing is for 6.5 so boot into 6.5 and re-install the driver if you have to.

Let us know how that goes.

Thecowking
9th March 2007, 07:48 AM
Well I went to bed last night, and the whole thing was fubar.

I wake up and everything just works. I swear I don't understand computers.

John the train
9th March 2007, 09:56 AM
Well I went to bed last night, and the whole thing was fubar.

I wake up and everything just works. I swear I don't understand computers.
Been there, done that. I think sometimes our computers need a good nights sleep as we do! :D

Thecowking
9th March 2007, 09:57 AM
Been there, done that. I think sometimes our computers need a good nights sleep as we do! :D

I worked it out on the way into work. HAL daemon does Hardware Detection right?

So Daemons are creatures of darkness! Evidently he needed the light off to fix the problem. So simple when you work it out! :)

Ratty
9th March 2007, 12:35 PM
Have to say your opening post was the fnniest I have read in a while. Not the problem just the humour factor :)

Nice to here it's sorted.

rat

Thecowking
9th March 2007, 12:42 PM
Have to say your opening post was the fnniest I have read in a while. Not the problem just the humour factor :)

Nice to here it's sorted.

rat

I like to be more positive than negative, I think it makes it more fun. This one was not a PC killer problem either, it was just plain weird, so it deserved to be more humourous I feel.

elgreco
9th March 2007, 12:48 PM
Hi, can't wait to read about your next problem ... :-D

Greetings ;-)

Thecowking
10th March 2007, 01:16 PM
Hi, can't wait to read about your next problem ... :-D

Greetings ;-)
Well I do have this rash...