PDA

View Full Version : Quake game.

mhelios
22nd February 2004, 09:02 AM
Hi guys

Slightly OT, but has anyone successfully setup sdlquake in FC? ( Port of ID Software's popular Quake 3-D shooter game). Could you post what you did to get it working if so.
http://www.libsdl.org/projects/quake/

I get missing files when I try to run ./sdlquake

Lindy
23rd February 2004, 08:00 PM
Is sdlquake in your quake dir.? When I installed it ,it installed to /usr/local/bin. I moved it to my quake dir. /usr/local/games/quake. Also if you're trying to run it from kde you'll want to kill artsd as it doesn't like to play nice with sdl.

mhelios
29th February 2004, 01:02 PM
Lindy,

The tar archive unpacked things to ~/sdlquake directory. The sdlquake binary was located under that tree. The only (one-line!) documentation I could find mentioned simply running ./sdlquake from within that dir..

I'm not that worried though... I haven't looked at it since my post above. I found a Quake + Linux HOWTO that I may peruse one day..

fjleal
1st March 2004, 01:19 PM
Does anyone know how to create the .wad file from the original Quake CD files? Maybe concatenating q101_int.1 and q101_int.2... Or do I have to install in on a M$ system and then copy that file fo FC1 just to try this one out?

Thanks.

EDIT: Ok, got it to work. "cat /mnt/cdrom/q101_int.1 /mnt/cdrom/q101_int.2 > myfile" and "lha e myfile" did the trick. "./sdlquake" works! :)

Now for another question: how to play in full-screen mode? :(

Lindy
1st March 2004, 04:51 PM
I'm not certain, and their web page is a bit vague on this point, but I do believe that sdl quake is not a stand alone. It requires either the full, or shareware version of quake. When I first installed it I could'nt get it to run, but when I moved it to my quake dir. in /usr/local/games it worked... well sorta, its a bit "twitchy" sometimes it will run fine, other times it will crash when tring to load a saved game.