PDA

View Full Version : installing pan

trashchris
14th February 2007, 08:26 PM
hey guys, first of all great forum , been reading alot .
im a total linux n00b, im running fedora core that i just installed, im getting to grips with the terminal and installing package. im currently trying to install the newsreader "pan" and have overcome a problem with the dependencies however im still getting an error. i hope this makes sence to someone :

checking for glib-2.0 >= 2.2.0 gthread-2.0 >= 2.2.0 gobject-2.0 >= 2.2.0... Package glib-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path. Perhaps you should add the directory containing `glib-2.0.pc' to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable No package 'glib-2.0' found Package gthread-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path. Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gthread-2.0.pc' to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable No package 'gthread-2.0' found Package gobject-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path. Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gobject-2.0.pc' to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable No package 'gobject-2.0' found
configure: error: Library requirements (glib-2.0 >= 2.2.0 gthread-2.0 >= 2.2.0 gobject-2.0 >= 2.2.0) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.
[root@localhost pan-0.14.2]#

my first thought was to install glib2-devel-2.4.8-1.fc2 RPM for i386 but even once i done this , it didnt help, again im a n00b and stuck
i been tryin so much not to ask for help but i give in :P

any suggestions or pointers welcome

RupertPupkin
14th February 2007, 08:53 PM
Sounds like you are trying to compile pan. You don't have to, there is an RPM for it (http://fedoraproject.org/extras/6/i386/repodata/repoview/pan-1-0.123-1.fc6.html) in Fedora Extras. You'll need to have gmime and gtkspell installed, among other things. If Extras is in your yum repo list, you should be able to do a 'yum install pan' to install it.

trashchris
14th February 2007, 09:07 PM
Sounds like you are trying to compile pan. You don't have to, there is an RPM for it (http://fedoraproject.org/extras/6/i386/repodata/repoview/pan-1-0.123-1.fc6.html) in Fedora Extras. You'll need to have gmime and gtkspell installed, among other things. If Extras is in your yum repo list, you should be able to do a 'yum install pan' to install it.

if i try yum install pan , i get "Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: geda"
:confused:

Seve
14th February 2007, 10:07 PM
if i try yum install pan , i get "Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: geda"
:confused:
Hello:
pan is maintained in the fedora extras repo as RupertPupkin pointed out.
If you do not have fedora extras installed then save the following to your /etc/yum.repos.d [you will have to be root]
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/EXTRAS
then
open a terminal and log in as root using
su -
yourpassword
then
yum install pan

Seve

trashchris
14th February 2007, 10:56 PM
sorry guys, im just totally usless at this, u been a great help though,
i read up 2 find out how to create the files

cheers

chris

evilinux
14th February 2007, 11:46 PM
Ive used pan and it works pretty well but from what Ive experienced so far you will also need par2 and rar for linux installed to make use of newgroup postings like movies, music etc.
Most of the good multimedia comes with par files to repair faulty downloads and in rar format.
If there are graphical implementations of these Im not aware of them, so far Ive had to use their command lines.