PDA

View Full Version : Kernel upgrade and then I cant start Fedora

[SkG]
14th February 2007, 05:09 PM
I were using Fedora Core 6 with kernel 2.6.18-1.2798.
I need update kernel to version 2.6.19-1.2911 to install some divers, as fglrx ati drivers and i did it (yum update kernel) ok...

When i tryed to start my computer there were a "little" problem... fedora can't start... i started with the old kernel and works...

What's the way to update kernel? >.< i have to update something else?

Thx.

silvagroup
14th February 2007, 06:00 PM
What is happening, are you not getting a grub boot option for your new kernel or are you getting an error message when you boot from grub, can you be more specific please.

JN4OldSchool
14th February 2007, 06:06 PM
I think the key was ATI drivers. You need to install the vidio driver to match the kernel. Would be easiest to remove the current ati driver and just get the one from Livna. That way it automatically updates with the kernel. You can type "vesa" in your xorg.conf to get into the new kernel if you want.

[SkG]
14th February 2007, 08:55 PM
What is happening, are you not getting a grub boot option for your new kernel or are you getting an error message when you boot from grub, can you be more specific please.
The next step after grub, it says.. "Redhat nash 5...." then it stop..

I think the key was ATI drivers. You need to install the vidio driver to match the kernel. Would be easiest to remove the current ati driver and just get the one from Livna. That way it automatically updates with the kernel. You can type "vesa" in your xorg.conf to get into the new kernel if you want.
I can try that but i think that this isn't the problem... where the startup stops dont need ati drivers....

[SkG]
15th February 2007, 07:01 AM
I ran "yum upgrade" and the problem continue.