PDA

View Full Version : alsa not configured correctly

evilinux
14th February 2007, 03:58 PM
Im having some trouble with Alsa. I have working sound with OSS, but if I select ALSA in any configuration menu I get, "COULD NOT OPEN RESOURCE FOR WRITING"
Something is missing which allows ALSA to play, a configuration or something that isnt availabnle in any GUI menu. However Alsa is having no trouble plays its OSS implementation.
Sound card is Audigy 2 ZS. Sound works in games with s_driver "oss" set.
If I type in terminal
$ alsamixer

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device
Any clues? IN my first installartion sound worked in games with s_driver "alsa". Fedora core 6 has a problem configuring alsa correctly if you change sound cards, its not changing all the configuration files correctly, and Im also curious is there a way to copmpletely uninstall alsa and reinstall it without screwing up everything?

InKo
14th February 2007, 04:05 PM
are you sure the kernel is compiled with ALSA? if I am not wrong, while kernel compiling there is an alsa option...

evilinux
14th February 2007, 04:26 PM
There's no graphical option for it. Perhaps a command?
Ive read that its in the kernel. I never chose to install it, its just there. Indeed the ALSA OSS works so I know the drivers are installed. FEdora just does not configure them correctly.

parish
14th February 2007, 05:22 PM
As you guessed, your sound card is not configured correctly, but it can most likely be solved without removing/reinstalling alsa. I had this problem before, with a different driver though, and was able to track it down by (as root) removing then attempting to re-insert the sound module:

rmmod <module name> (in my case it was snd_hda_config)
modprobe <module name>

When this failed at first, it wrote messages to /var/log/messages that helped me eventually solve the problem.

Daniel

evilinux
14th February 2007, 06:02 PM
ok thanks ill do some exploring in that area

evilinux
15th February 2007, 04:17 PM
I have a problem when trying this.

[root@localhost ~]# modprobe -r snd_emu10k1
FATAL: Module snd_emu10k1 is in use.
FATAL: Error running remove command for snd_emu10k1
[root@localhost ~]#

[root@localhost ~]# rmmod snd_emu10k1
ERROR: Module snd_emu10k1 is in use
[root@localhost ~]#

any ways around this?

parish
15th February 2007, 04:59 PM
I occasionally ran into that as well. Two things to try: 1) Log out, log back in, and then immediately try to rmmod snd_emu10k1 -or- 2) Go to init level 3,

% su -
% init 3
CTRL-ALT-F1 <= to get to the console

Now try the rmmod from there. You can then go back to init level 5 and switch back to your x-session with CTRL-ALT-F7.

Also, it's possible that the module is in use by aRts if it's enabled. You can try killing the server process (artsd) and/or disabling it altogether in KDE or Gnome before trying the rmmod command. There is a setting for this in a KDE or Gnome control panel, but I don't use either of these session managers so I can't tell you exactly where to look.

Daniel

evilinux
15th February 2007, 07:56 PM
Ok that worked and it printed some stuff at the time i shut it down and reloaded it with modprobe, and here is that text but Im not sure what it all means.

Feb 15 13:48:50 localhost kernel: ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:02:0b.0 disabled
Feb 15 13:49:01 localhost kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:02:0b.0[A] -> GSI 23 (level, low) -> IRQ 19
Feb 15 13:49:01 localhost kernel: Installing spdif_bug patch: Audigy 2 ZS [SB0350]
Feb 15 13:49:06 localhost gdm[6395]: (null): cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Sadly I cant use skype to phone with my oss only working either..although games work with lower quality sounds.

evilinux
15th February 2007, 08:30 PM
I seem to have found the problem.
/etc/asound.conf said this

#Generated by system-config-soundcard, do not edit by hand
#SWCONF
#DEV 0
defaults.pcm.card 1
defaults.pcm.device 0
defaults.ctl.card 1
Ignoring the instructions and editing by hand to say

#Generated by system-config-soundcard, do not edit by hand