PDA

View Full Version : As new as a newbie could be to Linux!

appleseed85
14th February 2007, 10:13 AM
Hey everyone! This is the first time I have ever installed Linux!

Please excuse my newbiness, I do not know much about Linux...I am not here to ask how to do things - I'm just looking for someone to at least point me in the right direction - Heres how the story goes:

My roomate has a Linux/Samba server, that we both contribute to with various media from our Windows XP PCs that are on the same LAN. I had a Windows XP server, but my roomate had convinced me to give Lunix a try and he recommended that I start with Fedora Core with KDE (He says Gnome sucks). I DL'ed Fedora Core 6 and have completed installation. It only asked for CD 1 and 2 out of the 5 I Dl'ed and copied to CD's - which i think is odd! But anyhow, I went about installing with the option of a graphic installation rather than a text installation. (I hope that makes sense)

I tried to set everything up as best I could. After installation, I was upset with the screen resolution of 800x600. I found where to set the resolution, however, 800x600 was the max res available in the drop-down... so I figured I just needed to download the video drivers since I just did a reformat - so I went to dell.com... Im sure some of you are laughing right now, I would be too! I finally figured out how to get the res fixed to what I want. I feel like such a retard! But hey, at least i figured out that simple task on my own!

So, anyway, I see that I have Gnome GUI running and I want to give KDE a try. I have NO IDEA what to do.. I found KDE's website and the download section, but I can't seem to figure out what exactly to download? Also, Other than reading the "Beginner's Guid to Linux" on the Linux website, is there any other sources or methods of learning Linux that you guys recommend? At the moment, (since I don't know much about Linux) my main interest is to set server to contain various types media that I can access from a Windows PC - And if possible, the ebst way to organize this data.

I am so excited about this! Thanks in advance for any advice! (Its 4 am! time for bed now!) :eek:

jim
14th February 2007, 10:44 AM
open a terminal Applications> Accessories> Terminal

type
su

enter the root password you set on install

type

yum groupinstall kde

when completed
type
switchdesk kde

log out and login again

appleseed85
14th February 2007, 05:15 PM
Thanks Jim!

That was interetsing! However, after I typed "yum groupinstall kde" and all the downloads completed, the command "switchdesk kde" returned "bash: switchdesk: commant not found". Any ideas what I did wrong Jim?

nick.stumpos
14th February 2007, 05:23 PM
yum install switchdesk