PDA

View Full Version : Download/Install Firefox from Internet

MitchellR
14th February 2007, 05:09 AM
Hello,
I would like to have a walk-through on downloading and installing a program from the Internet, specifically the new Firefox for Linux. I download the files to /desktop/ and the manager opens the archive manager which has an option to extract the files. I am not sure what 'extract' a file is. It seems that my pre-loaded earlier version of Firefox is in the /usr/ directory, however, I have not been able to discern which files need to be replaced or overwritten and of course the proper operations for doing so.
I tried looking for directions for 'download' and install' but only have returned info on installing LInux.
Thanks.
MitchellR

Plossl
14th February 2007, 05:31 AM
Mitchell, you can install Firefox 2 through rpm:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=134143&highlight=firefox+rpm

MitchellR
14th February 2007, 06:06 AM
Plossl,
Thank you for the reply. I left out that I am Using FC5.
Also, I do not know how to install anything that I download. I tried downloading and installing an audio file player, but was unsuccessful. I wish to learn how to perform these tasks, which operations to perform.
Thanks.
MitchellR

Plossl
14th February 2007, 02:04 PM
Mitchell, there is also an rpm for Firefox in Fedora's repositories.

It should be in your system's menu's under Add/remove new software. You will need your root password. Just search under Firefox - type it in under the Search tab. It's called firefox2 - 2.0.0.1.i386.

MitchellR
14th February 2007, 08:39 PM
Prossl,
Thank you for your response.
Firefox2 is not listed in the Install software utility menu.
I have in the past downloaded the rpms from the Mozilla site.
The problem is that I do not no how to install the rpms once they are downloaded to desktop.
They open in 'archive manager' which allows for a process called 'extraction' of which I know not what that does.
I do not know where to mount the files or how to make the appropriate files executable.
MitchellR

Plossl
14th February 2007, 09:43 PM
I have in the past downloaded the rpms from the Mozilla site.
The problem is that I do not no how to install the rpms once they are downloaded to desktop.

Mitchell, sorry, I misunderstood. If you have an rpm already, you can install it with rpm -i rpm_file_name. It's best to do this as root.

You can find details on the manual pages: man rpm. Google Linux (www.google.com/linux) is also a good resource.