PDA

View Full Version : All Icons in Nautilus "Show" Read Only

spamllama2000
13th February 2007, 02:22 AM
Hey,

Here's at least an odd one to me... I haven't encountered it before and really don't know what to do.

After performing some system updates today, now when I open up the Filesystem in Nautilus, all the icons for folders show the emblem on the folder that I can't write to it. My other FC6 load doesn't show these.

Everything seems to work the same, and I'm not seeing that anything has changed in the Permissions for each folder. I even took screen shots of the permissions of the folders on my other FC6 build to make sure I wasn't crazy.

Its the emblem with the pencil with the 'no' sign over it. Not that big of a deal, I guess, but it just looks ugly when I open up the filesystem and I think its harder to look at to really see worthwhile emblems....

Any ideas how to fix this???

Thanks,
Derrick

AlexThomson_NZ
13th February 2007, 02:57 AM
So you are saying that the files ARE writeable, but the read-only emblem is visible, correct?

If you right click on an icon->properties and go to the emblem tab, is the 'read only' emblem selected? can you de-select it?

spamllama2000
13th February 2007, 02:59 PM
Hey Alex,

Thanks for responding! No, the folders are "read only" from my user ID. They're set with the normal permissions that anyone can "ACCESS FILES."

What I don't get is why now they all have the read only emblem visible. They didn't before, the permissions didn't change, and they're not on my other FC6 build.

Everything seems to work the same, but it really clutters up the window when every icon has this on it... my guess would be that's why its "missing" by default. Unfortunately the read only emblem isn't one that's user selectable... or de-selectable, so I can't just take them off.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Derrick

AlexThomson_NZ
13th February 2007, 10:26 PM
Ahhh I understand your problem now- I can see how this would be annoying!

I don't have a Fedora handy at the moment- but in Ubuntu I am using at the moment, you can add/remove emblems regards of whether you have write permissions or not and 'readonly' is one of them. I suspect this might be more a nautilus problem (I am using 2.14.3) what version are you running?

Jahova
13th February 2007, 11:20 PM
Derrick, go ahead and force change the file permisions recursively for your home folders.

first from root:

chmod -Rwx /home/(insertusername)

then you can add them back from root:

chmod +Rwx /home/(insertusername)

it sounds like some script somewhere has been messed up and this should fix it. one way for a script to mess up is a bad RAM chip, among other common things. it also maybe a nautilus or gnome thing. there are other ideas but this is really simple.