PDA

View Full Version : Shutdown doesn't shutdown completely, not ACPI related...

MasterC
12th February 2007, 10:50 AM
Hello!

I've been searching and searching for days. My problem:

If I call 'halt', 'poweroff', 'shutdown -h now' or any other variation of that call from one of the ttys, the system shuts down. I can also ssh into the system and call poweroff and the system shuts completely down.

Even pressing the power button (quickly, not holding it down for a hard shut down) cleanly shuts down the system completely.

But...

If I call halt from a terminal in say, fluxbox, it hangs at the last part "System halted" of the shutdown process and never powers down the system. This also happens if I call halt from a script, or from an application that shuts down the system (mythtv for example).

I'm running FC6, and FC5 didn't have this problem on the same hardware. No variation of acpi=anything in grub changes anything. The only 'fix' that is working so far is to bring up an xterm and call shutdown with an -e option:
xterm -e "shutdown -h now"
Then it works. Obviously I could create an alias to do this for me, but it would be extremely inconvenient and still wouldn't work in all situations.

Any ideas what the problem is with FC6 and shutting down from a non-tty terminal or application?

Thanks!

-Chad

urzasrage
12th February 2007, 11:30 AM
You can try calling shutdown with init 0

MasterC
12th February 2007, 07:07 PM
Thank you for the response.

Yes, any variation of shutdown, including init 0 produces the same results.

-Chad