PDA

View Full Version : how to update menu ?

dw5437
12th February 2007, 12:03 AM
When I install a program it doesnt always show up in the menus. In Debian I use update-menu but in FC6 it shows no such command.

AlexThomson_NZ
12th February 2007, 02:26 AM
I think this depends on the program and whether it is 'smart' enough to do it automatically. Most popular programs you should find do this when installing, but there are still plenty that don't. You can manually add them though using alacarte.

dw5437
12th February 2007, 05:14 AM
So how do I add programs to the start menu ?

sn68
12th February 2007, 06:10 AM
You can install alacarte menu editor(ref #2)
yum -y install alacarte
Once installed, it will appear in Applications->Accessories->Alacarte Menu Editor

sailor
12th February 2007, 07:51 PM
Since you didn't specify your desktop...they assume you are using Gnome...in KDE you simply right click the "KMenu" and choose "edit menu"

dw5437
12th February 2007, 08:29 PM
Since you didn't specify your desktop...they assume you are using Gnome...in KDE you simply right click the "KMenu" and choose "edit menu"

Actually I am using XFCE4 Gnome and Kde. However when I tried to install Alacarte I got a nothing to do reply which usually means it is already installed. However it is nowhere in the Gnome menus. When I right click on the KDE menu I get a menu editor. Is that what you are talking about. If so I will have to figure out the path to the program and enter it I assume. There should be a command line option though because I have used it in Debian. I was just looking for an easy way out. I appreciate the answers very much.

sn68
13th February 2007, 04:21 AM
If its not there in Applications menu, you could open terminal & type alacarte to run the menu editor

M. del Carpio
24th February 2007, 12:57 AM
Oh, lovely. I just stumbled across what I've been after for a little while.

kmenuedit

It saves me unlocking and re-locking my panel, you see. Just chuck that in the terminal or run dialogue. Cheers, folks.