PDA

View Full Version : Boot up volume and file system problems

deemus
11th February 2007, 06:01 PM
I have a box running core 6. I setup the box about a week ago and it worked just fine up until yesterday. I installed linux using the default lvm settings making a pair of 250GB into one / ext3 file system. After a few days of moving files (about 100GB) to it and making sure it was stable I added a 2nd volume group called Storage in a directory I called /storage/storage01 consisting of one 200GB hard drive to start with. Completely updated with all the patches through yum, rebooted it a few times and put about 200GB of data on the Storage group. It sat around for a few more days and just acted as a file server for my media center with all it's data in samba shares. Yesterday, I shutdown the box down gracefully though the software and unplugged it so I could use that kvm for something else. When I put the box back in and powered it on later in the day it started giving me boot errors and I don't know enough about linux and the tools available to diagnose the issue.
When it boots it says:

Found volume group "VolGroup00" using metadata lvm2
Found volume group "Storage" using metadata lvm2
2 logical volume(s) in volume group "VolGroup00" now active.

Then it continues on (shouldn't it have made "1 logical volume in Storage" active?)

normal stuff here then
Setting up logical volume management [ OK ]
/boot: clean, 38/26104 files. 34123832/49784832 blocks
/dev/Storage/Storage01: clean, 4978/24903680 files, 34123832/49784832 blocks
Remounting root filesystem in read-write mode [ FAILED ]
Mounting local filesystems [ FAILED ]

some more stuff...

Determing IP information for eth0...Can't create /var/run/dhclient-eth0.pid: Read-only file system
then a whole bunch of similer errors about being in read-only.

When it gets to "Starting system logger:" it will hang for a good 3 minutes and then continue with some more failed daemons and end up on an 80x25 screen stating Could not start the X server due to some internal error and so on. If I hit OK I'm dropped to a text login prompt where I can log in as root but I don't know what to look at, check on or run (including parameters).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-George

deemus
11th February 2007, 06:37 PM
Additional information:
The box is a PIII 1.0ghz with 512mb of RAM, generic gateway machine with upgraded ATA HDs. I don't care about the data on the Storage volume but I'd like to get the data off the main volume as it's stuff I didn't get around to backing up yet. I can pull the cables to the HD that makes up the Storage volume and get a boot error of "fsck.ext3: No file or directory while trying to open /dev/Storage/Storage01" which will immediatly give me a:
Give root password for maintence
(or type Control-D to continue):
If I can just remove the extra volume and boot as normal that would be all I need to be able to backup the data and then reformat the system.

-George

Seve
11th February 2007, 07:12 PM
Hello:
You may have to make the new Storage lvm active?
boot from the install disc and type
linux rescue
follow along with the on-screen instructions [do not require network] when it gets to the point of saying it's now going to do a search for Fedora installations and you have the option to select Continue or Skip ?
Select Skip -- You do not want to mount anything.
the command prompt should appear
then you can run
lvm vgscan
[this should scan for all the volume groups you have]
and or
lvm vgchange -a y
[this should activate all the volume groups]
exit and reboot.
You will also need to make a mount point for your new lvm,if you have not already done so.
say..
mkdir /mnt/other
Also, if you did not add an entry in your /etc/fstab file for the new Storage lvm Group you created. ?
if not, you need to add and entry to the /etc/fstab file like / similar to:
/dev/Storage/Storage01 /mnt/other ext3 defaults,user_xattr 1 1

Seve

deemus
11th February 2007, 07:32 PM
Hrm, that'll take me a minute to work out then. When I added the 3rd HD I removed the DVD drive as I usually do because I just use them for initial installs. Will setting one up as a slave to the 3rd HD on the secondary IDE port annoy linux since that's not it's original port? Also, I created the Storage LVM using the gui tool in gnome so I assume it made all the correct entries to the underlying config files because it was working just fine for days while I put data on it. I'll try out your suggestions first and see what it does.

Thanks,
-George

deemus
11th February 2007, 08:16 PM
Got everything up and booted to rescue disk, got down to the prompt and did:
lvm vgscan
It found the 2 volumes.
then
lvm vgchange -a y
it said both were active so I exited and rebooted. When it came back up I got exactly the same errors. Where do I go and how do I edit the config file that tells linux to activate both volumes before interactive startup begins?

-George

Seve
11th February 2007, 08:59 PM
Hello:
The first thing I would check is to see if you have a valid mount point and a valid entry in your fstab file for the new lvm group you created.
you can do this from linux rescue or the command prompt
cat /etc/fstab
and then cd to the mount point you created to validate its' existence.
The other thing that comes to mind is SELinux ?
Do you know if you had or have it enabled?
If so, you may want to start the boot process by adding to your kernel boot line in grub
selinux=0
your kernel boot line should look like this
.... rhgb quiet selinux=0

Seve

deemus
12th February 2007, 02:08 AM
If I boot from rescue and get to a command prompt and type cat /etc/fstab I get:
cat: /etc/fstab: No such file or directory
If I cd etc and then LS, there is no file by that name there, the closest match is 'mtab'. When I look at the root / I don't see some of my directories so I think I'm looking at a directory listing of the rescue DVD.
So I booted it up as normal and changed the kernel arguements to include "selinux=0", and it still errored out as it has been doing so I waited for it to fail and boot to a system login prompt.
if I then type "cat /etc/fstab" I get:
LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
tempfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/Storage/Storage01 /storage ext3 defaults 1 2

If I CD /storage it puts me in the directory I set up and I can see lost+found and the directory I put there called video2. If I go into video2 I see all the video files I have stored there.

Any ideas what I should check next or do next? Am I wrong in assuming that when the machine boots up, before interactive startup, it should make Storage active when it makes VolGroup00 active?

-George

deemus
13th February 2007, 04:56 AM
Still pretty much dead in the water, anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
-George