PDA

View Full Version : Package Manager shredded my computer.

Linux_Weary
10th February 2007, 10:05 AM
Hey, sorry for the graphic title but it's true... All i wanted to do was uninstall apache and mysql and dns server and now my computer is in ruins. It will crash if i let it start up without ctrl-alt-f3 and getting to a shell before it finishes starting up.

I'm HOPING that all I have to do is run some yum installs. Here is what is still missing wrong:

-cannot right click on desktop.
-my desktop image is gone.
-shutdown doesnt work.

Any idea's what I might be missing or am I just screwed thanks to good old package manager?

Linux_Weary
10th February 2007, 10:23 AM
ah man... i'm just depressed... i have too much other stuff i'm working on and now this?

I don't know enough about fc5 to solve the problem myself... Please give me any tipes you can think of!

SlowJet
10th February 2007, 10:33 AM
If you have done a yum update before installing the old packages
then the install off the cd's would be out dated as well as it's deps.
So the install may have re-installed old deps removing the newer ones needed by the updated packages.

I think the idea behind the software installer was for those without fast internet to install move later.

But once yum is used. Then it's all net or re-spin update.

Try a yum update in the tty - there's not much else you can do.

SJ

Linux_Weary
10th February 2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the reply... Did the yum update and it didn't fix anything.

I have to fix this. I have to get my computer exactly how it was before Package Manager molested it like Michael Jackson with two 9 year old boys.

When I go to "logout username" in that little foot icon, X window dies, I'm brought to runlevel 3 and an error message is output. However, I cannot read the entire error message. Where would this output be stored? I think this could be the first step in me fixing this.

And for the record: god damn Package Manager.

ionutv202003
10th February 2007, 12:46 PM
you can find the messages, or a part of them if you do this: cat /var/log/messages

you can try to remove this packages: kdebase, xserver-xorg (or xfree86 if you have this one) and then reinstall them using yum and the standard FC5 repos to be sure that the newlly installed packages are up to date and ok.