PDA

View Full Version : "yum" trouble

geek.arnuld
10th February 2007, 08:26 AM
hai all,

i have just installed FC-6. internet was not working so i stopped IPv6 using these 3 things:

1. added these 2 in "/etc/modprobe.conf":

alias net-pf-10 off
alias ipv6 off

2. changed "/etc/sysconfig/network":

NETWORKING_IPV6=no

3.) /sbin/chkconfig ip6tables off

after that i was checking my gmail account :-) BUT when i tried to update "yum", i get an error. here is the ouput from my terminal
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[root@localhost unix]# yum check-update
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up repositories
Could not retrieve mirrorlist http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=core-6&arch=i386 error was
[Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (110, 'Connection timed out')>
Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core
[root@localhost unix]#
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mu internet is working fine, what is the trouble now?

Seve
10th February 2007, 08:57 AM
Hello:
It could be as simple that the mirrors are down.
If you have not already done so you may want to do a
system-config-serives
and disable all the services that you will not be using inlcuding
yum-updatesd
There is a guide located here: http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-services-fc6.html
save, exit and reboot, then open a terminal and try
yum clean all
then
yum check-update

Seve

geek.arnuld
11th February 2007, 07:25 AM
Hello:
It could be as simple that the mirrors are down.

i do not think so. see below.

If you have not already done so you may want to do a
system-config-serives
and disable all the services that you will not be using inlcuding
yum-updatesd
There is a guide located here: http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-services-fc6.html
save, exit and reboot,

ok i did stopped the services i do not need like "yum-updatesd", "netfs", "anacron" etc. & then save-exit-reboot cycle happened. :-)

then open a terminal and try
yum clean all
then
yum check-update

Seve

YES, i tried that... trust me, it does not work. below is the error message i get. i want to tell you one thing. whenever i access internet through Firefox, the ADSL & LAN lights on my modem *flicker* but whenever i do "yum check-update", they *never* flicker, not even once. it means yum is not able to find any internet connection, i guess.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[arnuld@localhost ~]$ sudo yum clean all
Cleaning up Everything
[arnuld@localhost ~]$ sudo yum check-update
Setting up repositories
Could not retrieve mirrorlist http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=updates-released-fc6&arch=i386 error was
Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: updates
[arnuld@localhost ~]$
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sgalland
11th February 2007, 08:51 AM
I am having the exact same trouble with the version of Fedora 6 I downloaded last night. I tried the steps listed to resolve the issue and get the exact same errors although I can browse/ftp/email and do everything else just fine.

u-noneinc-s
11th February 2007, 09:12 AM
Try yum -d 5 update and see if it gives you any more clues.

Are (either of) you behind a proxy?

sgalland
11th February 2007, 09:21 AM
I am not behind a proxy, straight dsl connection. I even dropped the firewall. I tried yum groupupdate base and it actually failed almost every single mirror and then started downloading from one and timed out. I dont have any other connection problems except to yum mirrors. I tried to run the command you listed and it immediately timed out.

Thanks,
Sean

sgalland
11th February 2007, 09:23 AM
[root@localhost sean]# yum -d 5 update
Running "config" handler for "installonlyn" plugin
Yum Version: 3.0
COMMAND: yum -d 5
Installroot: /
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
Could not retrieve mirrorlist http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=core-6&arch=i386 error was
[Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (101, 'Network is unreachable')>
[root@localhost sean]#

geek.arnuld
11th February 2007, 10:34 AM
I am not behind a proxy, straight dsl connection. I even dropped the firewall. I tried yum groupupdate base and it actually failed almost every single mirror and then started downloading from one and timed out. I dont have any other connection problems except to yum mirrors. I tried to run the command you listed and it immediately timed out.

Thanks,
Sean

YUCK! same as me

geek.arnuld
11th February 2007, 10:35 AM
[root@localhost sean]# yum -d 5 update
Running "config" handler for "installonlyn" plugin
Yum Version: 3.0
COMMAND: yum -d 5
Installroot: /
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
[Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (101, 'Network is unreachable')>
[root@localhost sean]#

YUCK! 100% same OUTPUT, here on my machine

geek.arnuld
11th February 2007, 12:20 PM
hey, i did the following and my trouble is resolved:

as root, go to "/etc/yum.repos.d/" directory. now there are many ".repo" files there. do NOT touch the "fedora-development.repo". stay away from it. there are 3 sections in a ".repo" file:

[name] [name-debuginfo] & [name-source].

("name" is the name of file you are editing e.g if "fedora-extra.repo" then "name" is "extra")

look for the sections with "enabled=1" & edit THAT section by doing this:

1. "comment-out" the "mirrorlist" line
2. "un-comment" the "baseurl" line.
3. run "yum check-update"

happy hacking

uchat
11th February 2007, 03:35 PM
Hi Arnuld,
I ran into a similar problem. Did you try http://www.fedorafaq.org ? they have some useful tips about configuring yum and a readymade yum repository configuration.
But you already seem to have solved the problem. So many people seem to be facing the same problem. Why not give your solution to yum developers forum? Could help them fix the bug (if it is one).

sgalland
11th February 2007, 06:00 PM
I tried that too and its still not working for me.

sgalland
11th February 2007, 06:37 PM
I rebooted andnow get this:

[root@localhost sean]# yum check-update
Setting up repositories
core 100% |=========================| 1.1 kB 00:00
livna 100% |=========================| 1.1 kB 00:00
flash 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
Could not retrieve mirrorlist http://www.jpackage.org/jpackage_fedora-6.txt error was
Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: jpackage-fedora

u-noneinc-s
11th February 2007, 07:09 PM

as root, go to "/etc/yum.repos.d/" directory. now there are many ".repo" files there. do NOT touch the "fedora-development.repo". stay away from it. there are 3 sections in a ".repo" file:

("name" is the name of file you are editing e.g if "fedora-extra.repo" then "name" is "extra")

happy hacking

Believe it or not, I had this typed out last night, and decided to go for the debug first :rolleyes:

Oh well. You know what they say, "go with yor first thought".

This method is usually useful if you're in a location with very few mirrors but I have seen many problems with mirrors here in the western US.

I usually use yumex config'd with "best" mirror detection which is supposed to get you the most current mirrors. I'll find a bunch of updates, yumex will start DLing the packages, then all of a sudden it can't find a mirror (one that it has already found), then the search is on. searching other mirrors seems to go on forever but it eventually finds one and gets the package it was looking for and the next thing you know, it's back to business DLing more packages (from the same mirror it started with). :confused:
I don't understand it, but it seems to be becoming more and more common on my end.

u-noneinc-s
11th February 2007, 07:12 PM
Hi Arnuld,
I ran into a similar problem. Did you try http://www.fedorafaq.org ? they have some useful tips about configuring yum and a readymade yum repository configuration.
But you already seem to have solved the problem. So many people seem to be facing the same problem. Why not give your solution to yum developers forum? Could help them fix the bug (if it is one).
I don't think it's really a bug. The base urls are commented out in favor of the mirrors by default.

u-noneinc-s
11th February 2007, 07:16 PM
I rebooted andnow get this:

[root@localhost sean]# yum check-update
Setting up repositories
core 100% |=========================| 1.1 kB 00:00
livna 100% |=========================| 1.1 kB 00:00
flash 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
Could not retrieve mirrorlist http://www.jpackage.org/jpackage_fedora-6.txt error was
Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: jpackage-fedora
You could disable jpackage. You don't need it "all the time" anyway.
yum --disablerepo=jpackage update
or disable it permanently by editing the jpackage.repo file and change enabled=1 to enabled=0, then when you need it you can enable it with yum --enablerepo=jpackage update. (Same for flash?)

sgalland
11th February 2007, 11:04 PM
I tried that and got the error:

[root@localhost sean]# yum --disablerepo=jpackage update

Error getting repository data for jpackage, repository not found

If I run yum check-update it is now aware of the updates, just keeps failing on jpackage even when i disabled it in the .repo file.

sgalland
11th February 2007, 11:08 PM
Never mind, I think I got it to work now. I forgot to disable a couple of sections in the jpackage.repo file.

sgalland
12th February 2007, 12:40 AM
When I do an update I get this error:

--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: gnome-python2 = 2.16.0-1.fc6 for package: gnome-python2-gnomevfs
--> Processing Dependency: gnome-python2 = 2.16.0-1.fc6 for package: gnome-python2-bonobo
--> Processing Dependency: gnome-python2-extras = 2.14.2-4.fc6 for package: gnome-python2-libegg
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: gnome-python2 = 2.16.0-1.fc6 is needed by package gnome-python2-gnomevfs
Error: Missing Dependency: gnome-python2 = 2.16.0-1.fc6 is needed by package gnome-python2-bonobo
Error: Missing Dependency: gnome-python2-extras = 2.14.2-4.fc6 is needed by package gnome-python2-libegg

Any ideas?

u-noneinc-s
12th February 2007, 07:35 PM
gnome-python2-2.16.2-2.fc6 is current (I didn't check the "extras" package. My guess is that it is gnome-python2 and gnome-python2-extras that want to update but older packages of gnome-python2-gnomevfs gnome-python2-bonobo gnome-python2-libegg need "your" current version of gnome-python2 and extras. If you keep trying you should eventually get a mirror that has the bonobo libegg and gnomevfs packages.
or
you can try to update those packages specifically first
or you can exclude gnome-python2 gnome-python2-extras.
Examples to follow.

yum update gnome-python2-gnomevfs gnome-python2-bonobo gnome-python2-libegg
or

yum --exclude=gnome-python2 gnome-python2-extras update

I can only guess since you cut the output of the yum process. I know the updates are available because I have the newer versions so I'm sure it's just a mirror lag.

You might also try yum install yumex then start yumex with the updates only option, and you'll have to wait for it to finish loading the repos, and you can configure it to use "best" mirror detection (edit -> preferences) then refresh the repos again and it's usually pretty good about finding up to date mirrors. It is a little buggie (for me anyway). If it seems to hang during sqlite update, give the mouse a click in the yumex window or move the mouse from one section of the yumex window to another.

sgalland
14th February 2007, 01:08 AM
I solved my own problem, I reformatted and reinstalled Fedora 6 and instead of using extra repositories I just did a standard install and install additional applications after I get linux setup.

Thanks for the help guys, I learned a lot about yum in the process!

Kasho
20th February 2007, 09:48 AM
Hello, I have a problem with yum and tried various things suggested here in the forums to solve it with no luck. Always getting the same error:

Could not retrieve mirrorlist http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-core-6 error was

here is my core config file:

[core]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/
mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-core-$releasever
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY

I tried with both commented/uncommented baseurl & mirrorlist. I tried to clean the database, headers, cache... I tried to remove yum, yum-metada-parser and yum-updatesd and install them again, I tried to install other versions of the packages, I even tried to rebuild the rpm database but still have the same problem :confused:

The problem started several months ago when it was working just fine, suddenly I started to get this error. I had FC5 at that time and I ignored the problem and waited untill I was able to upgrade to FC6, and despite the upgrade it STILL HAPPENS!!! Is it an access problem? I was able to use Yum before, using the same network settings. I don't know what happened.

Any help is appreciated

Mohammad

john@ackley.net
22nd February 2007, 03:37 AM
Fresh default install FC6
cannot get rid of update notices because update fails - detail below
tried yum etc. no luck
how to resolve Dependency and update - or make notices go away??? TIA :confused:

Missing Dependency: gnome-python2 = 2.16.0-1.fc6 is needed by package gnome-python2-gnomevfs
Missing Dependency: gnome-python2 = 2.16.0-1.fc6 is needed by package gnome-python2-bonobo
Missing Dependency: gnome-python2 = 2.16.0-1.fc6 is needed by package gnome-python2-canvas
Missing Dependency: gnome-python2-extras = 2.14.2-4.fc6 is needed by package gnome-python2-libegg

u-noneinc-s
22nd February 2007, 04:04 AM
Check for multiple versions of gnome-python2.
rpm -q gnome-python2 gnome-python2-extras (I think I saw a bug on gnome-python2 (yum) leaving older version on first update(?) but I can't seem to find it so I could be wrong).

Try yum clean all then try yum update again. (It does work sometimes)

knadoor
8th March 2007, 01:40 PM

happy hacking

Thanks alot buddy, this worked for me. :)

Thanks to the thread starter I can finally access all websites of the internet! And thanks to geek.arnuld I can now use Yum Updates without any problems at all.

This thread was a godsend! :D