PDA

View Full Version : Error resolving dependencies

axaf
10th February 2007, 02:28 AM
Hi-

I was doing a routine package update of my FC6 system this evening. When the system went looking for dependiencies, I got the following error which put an immediate halt to the update process:

Missing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.8.0.7 is needed by package devhelp

It's not clear to me how to resolve this issue. Any thought?

Thanks.

Wayne
10th February 2007, 02:31 AM
Hi-

I was doing a routine package update of my FC6 system this evening. When the system went looking for dependiencies, I got the following error which put an immediate halt to the update process:

Missing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.8.0.7 is needed by package devhelp

It's not clear to me how to resolve this issue. Any thought?

Thanks.

Sometimes one package gets updated before its dependencies and you get what you're experiencing. Your choice is to either wait a couple of days or exclude the offending package from being updated till its dependency is also online by unchecking it in the updater.

Wayne

u-noneinc-s
10th February 2007, 02:52 AM
what version devhelp? I have
rpm -q devhelp
devhelp-0.12-9.fc6 with gecko-libs = 1.8.0.9. Myabe you got a miror without the new devhelp? If you keep trying you may find a more current mirror, but as Wayne said, you can exclude the offender without concern. My guess is that gecko-libs is trying to update but can't because devhelp needs the older one so that would be yum --exclude=gecko-libs update (or if I am wrong, it would be yum --exclude=devhelp update)

axaf
10th February 2007, 03:54 AM
Thanks for the explainations. For some reason, though, your excellent suggestions, Mark, wouldn't execute. I get:

[root@localhost ~]# yum --exclude=devhelp update
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
Reading repository metadata in from local files
Excluding Packages in global exclude list
Finished
Resolving Dependencies
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Package util-linux.i386 0:2.13-0.46.fc6 set to be updated
---> Package vim-minimal.i386 2:7.0.191-2.fc6 set to be updated
---> Package bug-buddy.i386 1:2.16.0-4.fc6 set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.8.0.7 for package: devhelp
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.8.0.7 is needed by package devhelp

and then the command prompt comes back without updating the other packages.

Also, the package updater doesn't explicit come out and show a listing for a package
by the name of devhelp or gecko-libs.

So I guess that I don't quite see how to work around the devhelp dependency to update
the other packages. But as Wayne says, it's probably just as easy to wait until the dependency becomes available.

-Gary

u-noneinc-s
10th February 2007, 04:08 AM
Actually, I thought --exclude=gecko-libs would be the ticket and --exclude=devhelp was my second choice.

As you can see from my versions above, I got the update without problems. Both packages updated for me which led me to believe you got a mirror that was a little behind.

Wayne's advice is usually always good advice. No harm in waiting

Wayne
10th February 2007, 04:15 AM
Actually, I thought --exclude=gecko-libs would be the ticket and --exclude=devhelp was my second choice.

As you can see from my versions above, I got the update without problems. Both packages updated for me which led me to believe you got a mirror that was a little behind.

Wayne's advice is usually always good advice. No harm in waiting

Thanks. I know from experience. I've updated my own machine then gone into my son's room to do his and get nothing to update from the mirrors. Usually an hour or two later it works fine. I suppose it takes time for some mirrors to get in sync.

Wayne

jbrid
13th February 2007, 05:55 PM
I ended up removing devhelp, then running update, then re-installing devhelp.
This seems to have worked...
yum update
yum remove devhelp
yum update
yum install devhelp

I wasn't entirely sure about doing this. If anyone sees any problem with what I did, please let me know.

mq001k
15th February 2007, 08:38 PM
I am experiencing the same problem, and becuase its a few days later I seem to think its not a mirror issue. I can't seem to exclude the offending package "devhelp" because it never seems to be set for an update.

yum update devhelp

returns:

[root@mjqdesk ~]# yum update devhelp
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
Could not find update match for devhelp
No Packages marked for Update/Obsoletion
[root@mjqdesk ~]#

I assume "devhelp" is being added to solve a dependency. Is there a way to check if this is actually the case?

forevernerdcore
16th February 2007, 05:52 AM
The package thats stopping the update is firefox, so if you do a yum --exclude=firefox update ,then you should be able to update everything else/

CW7420
17th February 2007, 07:42 PM
I'm confused. Somebody decided Firefox 2.0 was ready to move from the development area to the regular update area. Why the heck wouldn't they move it's dependencies (i.e. the gecko-lib) over too? If I were to do this sort of thing on my day job they would sack me. This is not an isolated example. I'm frequently having to weed through the massive number of updates that come down the pipe and isolate the package(s) that have broken dependencies or conflicts. Eventually these things get sorted out, only to be replaced by new issues. There should be a process in place for testing changes to the mirrors before the rest of the community sees them to make sure all the dependencies are being released together.

Bottom line is, when will this dependency be fixed? It has been going on for at least a week. I've heard about Firefox 2.0 new features and would love to check them out. I've also read about the difficulty of manually adding it to a Fedora system, which is why I've been waiting for this update. I don't want to be running stuff from the development repository. I have enough problems with the stability of the software that comes from the regular repositories without living that far out on the edge of the blade.

:(

CW7420
17th February 2007, 07:51 PM
One point I forgot to make. Why do we have to run additional commands to figure out where the missing dependencies are required? When yum decides there is a missing dependency it has to know what package it was working on resolving the dependencies for, so why doesn't it just say so in the error message?

u-noneinc-s
17th February 2007, 08:08 PM
'm confused. Somebody decided Firefox 2.0 was ready to move from the development area to the regular update area. Really? I'm sitting here with firefox-1.5.0.9-3.fc6 from the last updates. I have yet to see FF2 in the updates repo.

Also, some time ago I installed 2.0 from the remi repo, and had no problems with deps.

CW7420
17th February 2007, 08:24 PM
OK. Now I have to do some detective work to determine which repository Firefox 2.0 has appeared in. I have added one or two repositories in order to pick up things like the NVidia drivers for my graphics card. Maybe the new firefox package is coming from there. I'm no expert at yum and generally use the GUI for my updates. Anyone know how to tell where a package is coming from in pup?

u-noneinc-s
17th February 2007, 08:54 PM
I have not gone back to FF2 since I upgraded to FC6, but I just ran a check on updating through remi, and it DOES want to pull in the devhelp package for deps.

CW7420
17th February 2007, 08:59 PM
Here is the information displayed in Pup when I select "Update Details" for the problematic Firefox update. My assumption has been that this is Firefox 2.0 since it has dependencies on the gecko-lib. When I've Googled for this dependency error it has come back with people talking about issues related to updating to Firefox 2.0.

ID FEDORA-2007-230
Type bugfix
Status final
Issued 2007-02-12 12:09:27.58
Updated 2007-02-12 12:09:27.58
Bugs 227406

Looking at the description of that bug I'm no longer so sure this is about Firefox 2.0. I'm still trying to determine what repository this package is coming from.

u-noneinc-s
17th February 2007, 09:55 PM
If you look at the packagenames, "somewhere" it should say lvn for livna or rf rpmforge (or freshrpms) at for atrpms etc. If there is nothing like that it is probably (but not necessarily) one of the fredora repos.

CW7420
17th February 2007, 10:13 PM
running "yum list updates" produces the following results:

Setting up repositories
Updated Packages
firefox.i386 1.5.0.9-3.fc6 updates
firefox-devel.i386 1.5.0.9-3.fc6 updates

Which I read as meaning the packages ARE coming from the official update repository. Attempting to load either package fails with the gecko-lib dependency.