PDA

View Full Version : where the heck is my xen machine

extendedping
10th February 2007, 12:46 AM
well after days trying to get xen working on fedora6 I thought I had it. for whatever reason it would not let me specify the partition from the virt-install graphical manager (I had set aside hda3 mounted as /xenpartition during install) and I had to specify the /xenpartition/xenmachine file. ok so finally It downloads and seems to install...I wait 5 hours and come to the screen where it asks me to reboot. so I do. I expect the xen machine to reboot and let me finish the install like it would on a regular install...but after hitting reboot it just seems to disapear. the file I created (6gb) in the /xenpartition is there as is a config file under /etc/xen/ for the virtual machine. however running xm list only shows domain 0 (my host machine) and under the virt-manager app hitting --file--restore saved machine I get an error saying unable to restore xxxx domain is the domain already running? I don't want to even reboot my computer now as I don't want the files I created to dissapear or something. also when I do a xm list and it shows domain 0 it shows 500m ram ....since I have 1gb ram total and I allocated half to the virtuaol machine It seems to me that the ram is being used somewhere...so is the virtual machine lost? arrgg this xen has been a friggin nighmare. thanks in advance.

extendedping
10th February 2007, 06:54 AM
ok perhaps a silly question...installing the vm I did not select customize now...which I am assuming means I did not get a xen kernel on the virtual machine...do I need one or only on the host? I really don't want to erase the config (takes hours to redo) if this was not the issue...

extendedping
10th February 2007, 08:08 PM
as pink floyd once said....

is there anybody out there?

Muneco
11th February 2007, 04:43 AM
You might just try switching to graphic mode using your function key while you are on the blank screen.. it works for me..

Muneco

extendedping
12th February 2007, 07:21 AM
You might just try switching to graphic mode using your function key while you are on the blank screen.. it works for me..

Muneco

hmm not sure what you mean...

anyway in my never ending battle I just reinstalled fedora (again) and attempted to intall a fed6 guest (again) this time making sure I specified a xen kernel for it during installl..

well it asks for the reboot and again...gone

this is amazingly frusrating

pjfg
12th February 2007, 06:02 PM
The xen management gui has a bug; after an initial install the reboot never starts the guest domain. The gui tools are new, so don't trust them to much to do any serious work.

The command to restart you guest from the terminal is "xm create name-of-guest" (yeah, I know it says 'create', but that's a misnomer,as it really means boot) where the name is the one you provided at install time and of the config file in /etc/xen. You shoud now be able to attach using either the virtual serial console "xm console name-of-guest" or using the GUI console.

extendedping
13th February 2007, 05:29 AM
The xen management gui has a bug; after an initial install the reboot never starts the guest domain. The gui tools are new, so don't trust them to much to do any serious work.

The command to restart you guest from the terminal is "xm create name-of-guest" (yeah, I know it says 'create', but that's a misnomer,as it really means boot) where the name is the one you provided at install time and of the config file in /etc/xen. You shoud now be able to attach using either the virtual serial console "xm console name-of-guest" or using the GUI console.

thanks well I did get it to reboot using that command. there are still many issues and as it is not only the xen machine is unusable it is the real machine as well when xen is running. here are a few of the issues I experienced

the mouse in the xen machine is offset from the mouse in the main machine and often cannot be moved to the correct spot

the mouse on the main machine just dissapears and even starts doing things like opening apps etc. in fact I had to erase my gnome desktop and reinstall it due to all the issues it caused.

even after closing the virtual machine it still shows that it is using half my memory (the 500gb allocated to it). this could only be fixed by rebooting the main machine.

so basically unless I am missing something here xen is totally unusable. I love fedora and this is no attack on fedora or even xen...but how in the world could my book the fedora 6 bible talk about xen like it was a real alternative to vmware, using the paravirtualization etc. I would bet anything the author just took some quotes he read somewhere and put them in. In fact I know it because I followed his instructions to the tee and it didn't work. so please anyone reading this thread...don't beleive the hype....and please don't go crazy for a week like I did trying to get it working...because it does not work at least not when using the graphical screen.

pjfg
13th February 2007, 09:35 AM
It is true that the GUI tools are a little rough around the edges; I gues it is to be expected since they are quite new. There is an issue with mouse tracking for which there isn't a solution at the moment. Personally, I only run headless guests so I can't say that the GUI is a problem for me. I suggest you try XDMCP instead as a workaround of the mouse issues.

For your memory problems, you need to run "xm mem-set Domain-0 xxx" where xxx is the amount in megabytes that you wish to use. Remember, that Domain-0 is itself a virtual machine (though a priviledged one) so xen has does not assume anything about your memory requirements.

I can understand you frustration when things don't quite work as expected. The management tools developed by Redhat still need some work, so expect things to improve in the future. Xen isn't yet a drop in replacement on the desktop for vmware yet, but for the server Xen is stable and reasonably mature (release 3 now), with feaures that not even vmware supports yet.

extendedping
13th February 2007, 02:55 PM
thanks for the detailed response I really do appreciate it. the reason I had to vent was I spent a week installing and uninstalling fedora, first trying to install to a partition (which the author said he did using the graphical tool) which didn't work, then the reboot issue and finally the graphics issues and memory issue. so you can see how one might go a bit nuts...I really think writing a book one should actually go through the exercises and verify them and obviously this guy did not. anyway thanks again pjfg I really appreciate the insights...

extendedping
13th February 2007, 04:57 PM
thanks again for the lowdown, I changed it to boot into init 3 so now I will use it to learn linux from the command line (who needs a gui anyway), again thanks for getting me on the right track here.