PDA

View Full Version : kde 3.5.6 problem

xeric
10th February 2007, 12:07 AM
Since I updated kde via the kde repository earlier in the week kde 3.5.6 is not remembering some settings. Specifically kmix, yakuake, superkaramba and knetstats. I have to start all these at each reboot. This is the first kde update that this has been a problem. I'm wondering if anybody else is seeing this.

ilbh
10th February 2007, 12:26 AM
goes to
control center -> kde components -> session manager
see what is checked in the "On Login" panel
and chose
restore previous session
if it is not enabled

xeric
10th February 2007, 12:37 AM
That was it. For some reason it had set to manual. Thanks very much!

kevmif
10th February 2007, 02:10 AM
Can I ask how you updated? Yum doesn't seem to find an updated version :(

ilbh
10th February 2007, 02:15 AM
kevmif,
are you using the kde repository?
download it to your /etc/yum.repos.d/ folder
http://apt.kde-redhat.org/apt/kde-redhat/fedora/kde.repo

then yum will find your update using that repo

kevmif
10th February 2007, 02:34 AM
Thanks... but shouldn't it be a part of the standard repository?

ilbh
10th February 2007, 02:48 AM
no. i think they cant set it as part of the standard
it would be unfair to any other desktop environment software developer.
dont you think ?

u-noneinc-s
10th February 2007, 03:05 AM
There are (or seems to be to me anyway) some differences between kde-redhat and Fedora implimentation of KDE. I have had problems in the past updating KDE from Fedora install with KDE repos (though nothing major).
Broken panel and menus, a complete change in menus, kdeinit can't start and other things. What wasn't easily repaired was fixed with the next Fedora kde update.
I was going to switch to kde-redhat with the installation of FC6, but constant desktop crashes led me to an instant install of kde from Fedora repos.

ilbh
10th February 2007, 04:25 AM
i do never had any problem with kde repo and fedora 6

u-noneinc-s
10th February 2007, 04:41 AM
I haven't tried kde-redhat repo with FC6, but had problems with FC3 and FC5 (and the problems may well have been my own). I only know that they happened when I did a kde update through kde-redhat and most werefixed withthe next kde updates from fedora.

It could be that I would have had the same problems if I had waited for Fedora repos to get the same updates.

I have nothing against kde-redhat repos but I think I'll wait for Fedora7 to try them out again and do a fresh install of kde from kde-redhat instead of Fedora.

silvagroup
13th February 2007, 10:03 PM
Me too - problems after update, am also using FC repos and until now have worked fine.
But now when I boot in I all of sudden get
KDEInit could not launch 'kpilotDaemon'.:
Could not find 'kpilotDaemon' executable.. Checked as previously recommended and it is set for Restore from previous session.
Any suggestions.

u-noneinc-s
14th February 2007, 09:43 PM
Me too - problems after update, am also using FC repos and until now have worked fine.
But now when I boot in I all of sudden get
KDEInit could not launch 'kpilotDaemon'.:
Could not find 'kpilotDaemon' executable.. Checked as previously recommended and it is set for Restore from previous session.
Any suggestions.
Sorry I can't help. I don't have the kpilot stuff installed.
I just hate to see querries unanswerd. Could tend to make ya feel "ignored." (I know this is not the case, but it does feel like it sometimes) ;)

silvagroup
15th February 2007, 09:18 PM
Thanks.
I do the same. I look for those unanswered posts and try to put in my two cents worth to encourage the users to hang in there.

In my current dilemma I think I can download the program, if that's what kpilot is (need to figure that out) and then do an install (hopefully). There must be something else FC is using for KDE syncing and I would use that but I have no idea what it is.
I know that gnome pilot is there also but I am not sure how it will work with KDE. Too much for my simple brain. :eek: