PDA

View Full Version : pc getting slow

LinuxHippy
9th February 2007, 08:26 PM
I've been running FC6 for 64 bit since it came out on an AMD64 3200 tower. I've noticed it's slower now then when I did a fresh install of FC6 a couple months ago. It's not slower on the net-it's slower on terminal windows. I only have 512 MB of RAM, but my CPU/RAM meter in XFCE-4 does not show that my resources are filling up. I'm running a home pc with FC6. Do I need to remove some application? I do notice that beagle runs in the background from time to time and makes my CPU meter go to 100% so I kill beagle.

joe.pelayo
9th February 2007, 10:15 PM
I don't know how to handle that in XFCE but if you have GNOME too yo can launch the System Monitor (System -> Administration) so you can see your computer's resources and running processes.

paul matthijsse
9th February 2007, 10:17 PM
512 MB with xfce is ok. Type in a terminal "top" and see if there"s an app that takes processor time. If it"s Beagle, you can also decide to uninstall it (as su, type "yum remove beagle"). I really don't understand why Beagle is part of Fedora or Debian -- it absolutely does nothing else than saying "search term not found"...

LinuxHippy
15th February 2007, 10:06 PM
it wasn't my pc getting slow-xterm is slow at paging. I now use konsole and that scrolls through long text files just fine in an ssh session.

marko
16th February 2007, 12:54 AM
If you want xterm -like functionality but don't want the heaviness of xterm, you can
install rxvt. rxvt is much smaller and simpler. It's sort of like xterm but without
a lot of the old legacy support that xterm has for things almost no one needs now
like Tektronics emulation

mark