or is it possable to make the newcs.x86 in the root logon
run from the startup menu ,say after a power cut and so on
i have installed fedora core6 ,the newcs is running all well, when i log on
and run in the terminal.
thanks in advance

Regards Ethan

iwasapenguin
10th February 2007, 12:15 AM
My best advise (I'm not sure it will work on a server) is in KDE go to the controll panel>>administration>>login manager (something to that effect) and enable auto-login to root.

ilbh
10th February 2007, 12:51 AM
you can do it using
gdmsetup on gnome

newt666
15th May 2007, 01:59 PM
you can do it using
gdmsetup on gnome

I also would like to know how this is done. Could you supply a few more details on where in "gdmsetup" please?

ajamison
15th May 2007, 05:08 PM
go to the following menus to access the login gui setup tool

System > Administration > Login Screen

Once there click the users tab and add Root to the list on the left
you may have to hit the add button and type root in manauly

then click the security tab check the box that says Enable Automatic login and choose root from that list close and then it will auto login root

However i recomend setting up some kind of a usergroup that will allow that program to start it is strongly recomended not to auto-login root for security reasons

sideways
15th May 2007, 05:12 PM
With gdm you can't enable auto-login as root (you can specify root user but it won't work), don't know about kdm etc.

Put a command to run your program in /etc/rc.local, that will execute after all other init scripts and doesn't require a user login.

Rezwan Mahbub
18th June 2007, 06:16 PM
I have tried all and yes Sideways is right I have tried it bofore watching it but it really doesnt works. Now I want a real answer how to make it work

Rezwan Mahbub
19th June 2007, 06:48 PM
Hey no answer still? I want autologin as root user with no further trouble as it is my personal computer. I thought it was possible? If not why?

JEO
19th June 2007, 07:11 PM
It is a huge security hole to allow root to auto login and so many programs will not allow it. My advice is to create a regular user to auto login, and add that user to the sudoers list so that it will be able to execute root commands using sudo.

Simon_6162
19th June 2007, 08:39 PM
make a new user

as root open /etc/passwd

find the user you just made near the bottom and change the user and group id to 0, kdm and probably gdm will now let you auto login as that user. but you have root power !

change
user1:x:500:500:My Name:/home/user1:/bin/bash
to
user1:x:0:0:My Name:/home/user1:/bin/bash

THIS IS A REALLY BAD SECURITY HOLE THOUGH, but it's your choice if you want to make it!

The better way to do what you want is to allow a normal user sudo access by editing /etc/sudoers and disable password.

martdj
16th February 2010, 10:34 AM
Really old post, but I stumbled on it when looking for startup files for Fedora for NewCS. Wondering why people never commented on his reason for wanting an auto-login. This guy wanted auto-login to auto start NewCS. You obviously don't need auto-login for that. Just create a proper startup file for NewCS. NewCS doesn't even have to be started as root. Just as a user that is a member of dialout group. Here's (http://dolot.kipdola.com/wiki/Install_Newcs) a proper startup script for NewCS for Debian. If I only knew how to rewrite this for Fedora :-(