PDA

View Full Version : Fedora Desktop Environments / User Accounts

fc6_user
9th February 2007, 10:28 AM
I have two user accounts on my Fedora system, one using KDE, the other GNOME. I've just created a third user account and I'd like to use that third desktop environment available in Fedora, the one with a rather strange name, which seems to be composed of random letters and numbers, or almost. I came across it by accident once on my system, so I know it's there, however, I can't seem to find it, let alone make it my the default desktop environment for my third user account.

Or course, I know I could simply use KDE or GNOME, but, the thing is, I'm trying to learn as much as possible about Fedora, Linux and computers in general, so the purpose is actually to 'complicate' things.

I've looked in Preferences, but can't find it!

Does anybody know where that third desktop environment is, what it's called and how to make it my default desktop environment?

Oh, and while I'm on the subject, how do you go about creating "shared files"? And what about 'groups'? My three user accounts are each of a different 'group'? Would it be better to make them user accounts of the same group? How about privacy? What if I don't want one user to even see what's in another user's folder (not even the names of the folders)?

So, I'm looking for three things: that third desktop environment, how to share files, and the opposite, how to make it impossible to even read the names of another user's files.

marcrblevins
9th February 2007, 10:36 AM
Look for:
Add/Remove Software
If you can't find it, type pirut in terminal.

Xfrc is the third environment you looking for?

jim
9th February 2007, 10:50 AM
well there is
xfce
enlightenment
flutbox
and a million more

for groups

open the user accounts and groups again create a group named pus_monkeys. then for the group members add your 3 users. then as root create a folder named pus_monkey_share say in /home right click the folder and chose properties. for the group owners, select pus_monkeys.
in the pus_monkey_share as each user, create a folder and set the permissions for the "Others" option set the access to none. now as each user attempt to browse each individual folder as a different user. should get access denied

see attached

fc6_user
9th February 2007, 11:24 AM
Wow! That was fast! The shared files works fine! So do the 'secret' ones. Thanks.

I think it was xfce that was available, however, the pirut thing didn't work. It said I had to be connected in order for it to work. Where can I go to choose xfce? I simply want to choose it as default for one of the users. I think it's already installed.

Rochester, NY eh (Jim)? Kodak and an excellent university with an excellent music school. I've been there a few times... God, you're up late! Or should I say early? ...so is Marc! Cisco? Silicon Valley? Thanks guys!

John the train
9th February 2007, 04:04 PM
Hi fc6_user. If Xfce is installed it will show up on the menu when you click ' sessions ' on the log-in screen. Asuming I can work out how to post it here's a screenshot of it in action on my laptop.

fc6_user
10th February 2007, 10:24 AM
Yeah, it's not there. I thought it was installed, because I came across it one day by accident. I don't think it is. To find out, what do I do? "whereis xfce" ? I did "yum list *xfce*" and got a lot of files. What's the command to install it? "yum install xfce" ?

I was under the impression that there were only 3 DEs available, that's why I thought of xfce. However, might it be a better idea to install another one? One that would be more useful to learn and use?

Seve
10th February 2007, 10:58 AM
Yeah, it's not there. I thought it was installed, because I came across it one day by accident. I don't think it is. To find out, what do I do? "whereis xfce" ? I did "yum list *xfce*" and got a lot of files. What's the command to install it? "yum install xfce" ?

I was under the impression that there were only 3 DEs available, that's why I thought of xfce. However, might it be a better idea to install another one? One that would be more useful to learn and use?
Hello:
To install XFCE use the groupinstall option
yum groupinstall "XFCE"
with the quotes

Seve

fc6_user
10th February 2007, 01:45 PM
Thanks Seve, worked like a charm!

fc6_user
2nd April 2007, 07:54 PM
Another question... I'd like to have a user account with sessions that open with a command line rather than a GUI as default. It's to learn vi, emacs, etc. and command line use without cheating. Anybody know how to do this? (or if it's possible?). I'd like to be able to change user accounts with and without GUIs quickly, easily and without rebooting.