PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Amarok/KDE and character encoding

Thetargos
9th February 2007, 01:51 AM
I know a lot of you people are using KDE over GNOME, and now I need your help, as I WANT to use Amarok to sync with my iriver Clix (MTP device). Amarok 1.4.5 has added support for the latest libmtp which supports my Clix, however there's a problem (yes, there's always a catch): Character encoding is all foobared. I don't know where a long the way UTF got all messed up, but the point of using MTP is JUST to prevent idicities like that.

At any rate, my problem is that for some obscure reason, when I enque files to be transfered to the Clix, Amarok "changes" the character encoding of the files, as if it suddenly magically decided that instead of using UTF, I needed to use something else. This doesn't make one bit of sense, but anyway, the thing is that correctly viewed UTF characters (japanese encoding) are all foobared when I try to sync them, and obviously the sync fails (I wonder why :rolleyes: ), so my question to you guys who may be more familiar with Amarok and KDE than I am, how do I state to Amarok to use the same character encoding that the rest of the filesystem uses for the synchronization? Is this another great inheritance of the iPods?

joe.pelayo
9th February 2007, 06:52 AM
You may want to check the KDE Control Center, in the Fonts section.

Thetargos
9th February 2007, 06:58 AM
I tried that (actually several times, with all and a session restart, just to be on the safe side). I started a KDE session just to trouble shoot this, and the behavior is the same, apparently Amarok only understands one character encoding when transferring files, which is all good, but the problem is that it seems to be the ISO encoding and not UNICODE... Strange.

Por cierto, ¿qué onda, paisano?

Wayne
9th February 2007, 07:06 AM
Did you look at the Amarok FAQ?

Wayne

Thetargos
9th February 2007, 07:08 AM
What?? Does Amarok has a FAQ?? :eek:

And does it feature my inquiry?? :eek: :eek:

True be told, I have not. I'll have a look there, though I'm not sure my question has already been asked (I searched their WiKi and Forums, though)

Wayne
9th February 2007, 07:12 AM
What?? Does Amarok has a FAQ?? :eek:

And does it feature my inquiry?? :eek: :eek:

True be told, I have not. I'll have a look there, though I'm not sure my question has already been asked (I searched their WiKi and Forums, though)

I'll ignore your attempt at sarcastic wit :D That kind of humour is my department! :rolleyes:

There is a FAQ and the was mention of something about character encoding but I'm not sure if it was related to your problem. I didn't spend much time looking at it as I was just passing through! :p

http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/FAQ#Amarok_is_not_displaying_my_utf-8_id3v2_tags_properly.21

Wayne

joe.pelayo
9th February 2007, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by Thetargos
Por cierto, ¿qué onda, paisano?

Hola paisano, da gusto encontrar gente del país de uno metida en esto de Linux (una vez supe de la distribución GDF Linux y se me hizo interesante), y más en mi caso porque nací en el DF. No cabe duda que es pequeño el mundo (e internet). Si no tienes inconveniente en agregarme a tu MSN me agradaría tener un contacto de FedoraForum.
Joe.

Thetargos
9th February 2007, 07:49 AM
I'll ignore your attempt at sarcastic wit :D That kind of humour is my department! :rolleyes:

There is a FAQ and the was mention of something about character encoding but I'm not sure if it was related to your problem. I didn't spend much time looking at it as I was just passing through! :p

http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/FAQ#Amarok_is_not_displaying_my_utf-8_id3v2_tags_properly.21

Wayne
Hehe... Well, yeah, I found a post about this on their mailing list, but not much useful information, I must admit. Thanks for your link (and here again, I confirm: I suck at searching!)

Thetargos
9th February 2007, 08:34 AM
Hola paisano, da gusto encontrar gente del país de uno metida en esto de Linux (una vez supe de la distribución GDF Linux y se me hizo interesante), y más en mi caso porque nací en el DF. No cabe duda que es pequeño el mundo (e internet). Si no tienes inconveniente en agregarme a tu MSN me agradaría tener un contacto de FedoraForum.
Joe.
Por supuesto, puedes añadirme a tu lista de contactos de MSN. y ¿Sabías que la distro del DF está basada en Fedora? hehe

joe.pelayo
9th February 2007, 10:05 PM
Ok, te añadiré al MSN. Sí sabía eso de la distribución GDF. Por algo es la Ciudad de la Esperanza. Espero que saquen una nueva versión pronto.
Joe.

u-noneinc-s
9th February 2007, 10:36 PM
Espanol is fine as far as I'm concerned, but English would also be appreciated as well for those of us who don't speak the language and "may" be suffering from the same symptoms. ;)
Muchas Gracias.

PS Also seeing Spanish and English together may help to bring back some of the High School
Spanish I used to know (and have long since forgotten).

PPS (Please take no offense. I have the upmost (or is it utmost?) respect for anybody that speaks 2 languanges better than I speak 1). :D

fnmblot
9th February 2007, 10:58 PM
Could you maybe please repost in English? Thx!

joe.pelayo
10th February 2007, 12:28 AM
Hello fnmblot
What I said was that I was glad of finding a countryman involved in Linux (more because he is living in the same city where I was born). We were also commenting about a Linux distribution released in 2005 by Mexico's City government: GDF Linux http://www.softwarelibre.tlalpan.gob.mx/ based in Fedora Core. The last part was about adding Thetargos to my MSN list.
I hope this clarified the topic.
Joe.

Thetargos
10th February 2007, 08:37 PM
Espanol is fine as far as I'm concerned, but English would also be appreciated as well for those of us who don't speak the language and "may" be suffering from the same symptoms. ;)
Muchas Gracias.

PS Also seeing Spanish and English together may help to bring back some of the High School
Spanish I used to know (and have long since forgotten).

PPS (Please take no offense. I have the upmost (or is it utmost?) respect for anybody that speaks 2 languanges better than I speak 1). :D
Sorry, those bits were not too relevant for the topic :D

Anyway, when I post in Spanish or Italian, will try to also post in English.

u-noneinc-s
10th February 2007, 09:23 PM
From what few words I recall, I gathered it was more conversation than relevance, but I do appreciate the reply and like I said, it may help bring back some HS Spanish :D I used to do pretty good (well?). As you can see, I even have trouble with my native tongue. ;)