PDA

View Full Version : Occasional fuzzy screen / things in double or triplicate

fc6_user
8th February 2007, 09:11 PM
Ever since I installed FC5 (my very first Linux installation and experience) on my ASUS A2C/S laptop (Intel Pentium 4, dual boot system WindowsXP/FC5... I've now upgraded to FC6)... once in a while I get a fuzzy screen just before logging in (and once logged in, of course). It's not a serious problem because it only happens about once or twice a week, and when it does happen I don't have to reboot, all I have to do is log out and log back in - which only takes a minute or so - and the problem is solved. However, I was wondering if anybody had a solution to this problem, knew why it occurs, or perhaps there are others out there who have experienced the same problem, in which case we might be able to find some common denominators, pinpoint the problem and perhaps find a solution.

VictorienSardou
15th February 2007, 03:18 PM
is this the spec of the graphics card:
Card name: ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9600/9700 Series
Chip type: MOBILITY RADEON 9600 Series AGP (0x4E50)
it is supported by the ATI prop drivers. are you using them?

Dan
15th February 2007, 03:57 PM
Occasional fuzzy screen / things in double or triplicate Hmmm. Without more info on the video card, driver used, chipset, and the like, my first knee jerk reaction would be to avoid drinking quite so much! :D

Seriously, once in a great while, on boot, the ATI Mobility 6 chipset in my older laptop will act a bit weird in FC4-5. (fuzzy or triplicate ghosting) I just ctrl+alt+backspace, and log in again, and everything works as it should. Up until now, I assumed it was a shortcoming in this particular laptop and its chipset. I have not yet noticed this behavior while running FC6 on the same laptop.

Dan

EDIT: FC4-6 all run The standard default ATI driver in this machine. I have not installed the accelerated driver, as I don't think it supports this chipset.

<...:)...>

fc6_user
18th February 2007, 12:40 AM
VictorienSardou,
Yes, that's right, "Graphics by ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9600".

TangledWeb,
No, haven't been drinking. Not these past days, anyway... lol
Yeah, it happened when I first installed fc5 and still happens even though I've upgraded to fc6.

To both of you,
Don't know about the chip type.
I'm relatively new at all of this. What are the commands that you enter in the terminal to get all of the essential information about chip type, prop drivers (I don't even know what a prop driver is!), etc...?

Many thanks!

VictorienSardou
18th February 2007, 07:08 PM
the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf is the configuration file for Xwindows.
There will be a section like:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "Quadro4 550 XGL"
EndSection
which for me tells me that I am using the nvidia driver which is the proprietary [prop] driver from nvidia which supports 3D acceleration but no source code is released. The open source driver is called nv and there is source available but it doesnt support 3D accelration.

The same situation exists for ati graphics hardware.
The driver can be installed from rpm.livna.org
http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/LivnaSwitcher
instructions on how to setup the livna repository are at
http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/UsingLivna