PDA

View Full Version : What the h*ll is Meld Diff Viewer?

Wayne
8th February 2007, 03:20 AM
What the h*ll is Meld Diff Viewer and where did it come from? I just looked in the 'Programming' section of my Gnome menu and all that was there a couple of days ago was NVU and Screem but today I've got this weird titled program! I've only done updates and not installed anything! I wonder if something dragged it in as a dependency? I don't like having unknown stuff on my machine so it's going bye-byes!

Wayne

Wayne
8th February 2007, 03:26 AM
OK. I made a mistake, I did install something a few days ago but it was only Gnome Commander! What the h*ll has a programming tool got to do with a File Manager!? That's ridiculous! I don't even know what a diff is, except in a car! I'm going out to kick the neighbour's dog!

Wayne (Who's still suffering from a cold and a terrible headache)

Wayne
8th February 2007, 03:31 AM
rpm -e --nodeps meld

1.7Mb of junk deleted :D

Wayne

leigh123linux
8th February 2007, 04:33 AM
OK. I made a mistake, I did install something a few days ago but it was only Gnome Commander! What the h*ll has a programming tool got to do with a File Manager!? That's ridiculous! I don't even know what a diff is, except in a car! I'm going out to kick the neighbour's dog!

Wayne (Who's still suffering from a cold and a terrible headache)

Gnome commander is more than a file browser its based on midnight commander

Gnome Commander is a free two pane filemanager in the tradition of Norton and Midnight Commander, it is built on the GTK-toolkit and GnomeVFS. Gnome Commander aims to fulfill the demands of more advanced users who like to focus on file management, their work through special applications and running smart commands. This program is not aimed at users wanting the weather forecast in a sidebar in their filemanager...
Features:

* GTK-2 GUI with standard mouse interactions.
* Gnome mime types (MIME-Type management under development).
* FTP using GnomeVFS ftp module.
* SAMBA access.
* Right click mouse menu with the usual file operations to run, open, open with.., delete or rename files and folders, and also to set properties like ownership and permissions.
* Mouse context menu that easily can be extended by entries calling any kind of external application like viewers, editors or custom scripts to work on selected files or directories.
* Quick device access buttons with automatic mounting and unmounting ("no-mount" option for just quick access to folders or otherwise automounted devices).
* Latest accessed folder history.
* Folder bookmarks.
* Plugin support under development.
* Fast file viewer for text, images and image meta data (Exif and IPTC)..
* Tools for searching, quick file name search in current dir, symlinking, comparing directories. ...
* A tool for advanced renaming of files supporting various types of meta-data.
* Integrated command line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_Commander

http://www.nongnu.org/gcmd/

Wayne
8th February 2007, 04:37 AM
Gnome commander is more than a file browser its based on midnight commander

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_Commander

I know that well enough :D But I've never had that dependency before when I've installed it. In fact, I thought the project was dead as there was no RPM for FC5 so I started using Emelfm2. I much prefer Gnome Commander so I was pleased to see it in Extras a few days ago. I also notice that MC isn't installed by default these days! Was it ever in Core?

Edit: Which also brings back Norton Commander and PC-Tools for Windows 3.1 :D This was the last windows I used on my own machine:

http://toastytech.com/guis/cpdesk.html

Wayne

Wayne
8th February 2007, 04:44 AM
I find it kind of funny that way back then I was using a really nice desktop for windows 3.1 that had all kinds of neat tools, including multiple desktops and M$ still hasn't introduced them to their products (except as an unsupported add-on in powertoys!)

Wayne

leigh123linux
8th February 2007, 04:45 AM
meld ( debian doesn't install this as a dep to gnome-commander )

graphical tool to diff and merge files
Meld is a tool which allows the user to see the changes in, and merge between,
either two files, two directories, or two files with a common ancestor.

Wayne
8th February 2007, 04:51 AM
meld ( debian doesn't install this as a dep to gnome-commander )

OK. Totally unneeded here, glad I removed it to the bit-bucket :D

Wayne

Brett Ryan
3rd October 2008, 03:50 PM
I couldn't resist replying to your post.

A diff/patch is a file that shows the differences between file(s). Meld is a great tool that allows you to visually see the differences side by side, like the old tkdiff programm. It can be usefull to any user to allow you to see what has changed between new and old versions of files.

I can't answer what dependancy would have sucked it in, I'm a debian user and have manually installed `meld'.

-Brett

DavidMcCann
5th October 2008, 09:16 PM
I had Meld pop up on my menu, much to my puzzlement. I had installed Gnome Commander, but that was some time ago. I assumed the appearance of Meld was part of a general problem I've had, with the menu inserting and deleting items of its own accord, which I reported elsewhere on this forum (Title = Gnome attacks). So you're not the only one, Wayne: keep a close watch on your menu and expect developments!