PDA

View Full Version : X-cd-roast Not Working!

fc6_user
7th February 2007, 11:09 PM
When I launch X-CD-ROAST, I get the following:

-"No configuration file found. Please enter setup."
-(I then click on Setup and the Setup window opens.)
-I then have two options: Rescan devices / Manually add devices

I'm new to Linux and not sure what all this means. All I want to do is back up my data on CDs and DVDs. I don't really care whether I use X-CD-ROAST or another program for this.

Does anybody know what needs to be done to get my burner working?

Thanks.

jim
7th February 2007, 11:29 PM
yum install gnomebaker if you use gnome

yum install k3b if you use kde

X cd Roast is old

fc6_user
8th February 2007, 07:43 PM
Installed gnomebaker, couldn't find it in the menus, typed in 'gnomebaker' in the terminal, it opened...

I tried to burn a CD and got the following message:
NFO: UTF-8 character encoding detected by locale settings.
Assuming UTF-8 encoded filenames on source filesystem,
use -input-charset to override.
mkisofs: Directories too deep for 'linux/.openoffice.org2.0/user/config/soffice.cfg/modules/simpress/accelerator' (7) max is 6.

And, in the terminal:
** (gnomebaker:3618): WARNING **: gbcommon_close_temp_file - Temporary file descriptor [/tmp/GnomeBaker-linux/gnomebaker-61SGNT] could not be closed

A few basic questions:
-I get the impression that KDE and GNOME software are compatible. I use KDevelop in GNOME, Kopete in Gnome, etc. Is this really true?
-Why can't I find gnomebaker in the applications menu?

I'm going to install k3b now. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks Jim!

fc6_user
8th February 2007, 07:46 PM
Well, this is what happened when I tried installing k3b. Could you tell me how to go about interpreting what is written here?

[root@localhost ~]# yum install k3b
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
Reading repository metadata in from local files
Parsing package install arguments
Nothing to do
[root@localhost ~]#

What does all of this mean?

u-noneinc-s
8th February 2007, 08:13 PM
A few basic questions:
-I get the impression that KDE and GNOME software are compatible. I use KDevelop in GNOME, Kopete in Gnome, etc. Is this really true?
-Why can't I find gnomebaker in the applications menu?For the most part they are compatible but there are exceptions. Example, to run nautilus in kde you need the --no-desk switch. As for gnomebaker, it's probably genarically named in the menu.

Well, this is what happened when I tried installing k3b. Could you tell me how to go about interpreting what is written here?

[root@localhost ~]# yum install k3b
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
Reading repository metadata in from local files
Parsing package install arguments
Nothing to do
[root@localhost ~]#

What does all of this mean?This more than likely means k3b is already installed. Try k3b in a console.

fc6_user
8th February 2007, 09:22 PM
Yeah, I do have k3b... which is getting me wondering what else I might have on this computer of mine... without know it! It's not in the GUI though, or at least I wasn't able to find it.

Great, super, brilliant, wonderful, magnificent... Thank you all so much. IT WORKS!!!!

However, to be a little more precise, k3b works in my gnome desktop environment (there were a few error messages in the terminal, but the disk is fine). gnomebaker isn't working (not yet anyway), but I don't really care for the time being. The important thing is that I be able to back up my data.

THANKS SO MUCH JIM AND U-NONEINC-S!!

fc6_user
10th February 2007, 09:37 AM
P.S. - How do I get k3b to appear in the GUI Applications menu? (for other users who aren't all that comfortable using the terminal)... Either it's not there, or I can't find it...

fc6_user
10th February 2007, 10:18 AM
Found it! In "Sound and video"...