PDA

View Full Version : Compatible Floppy Formats

kevin tough
7th February 2007, 10:35 PM
Yes Virgina, the floppy still lives! At my place of work I have installed the first Linux computer in a nest of Microsoft machines. I am learning how well Linux can deal with text files (I am not being sarcastic). We still swap files with floppies. I can edit a file in gedit and save it on a windows formatted floppy. When I read it on the windows machines they do not make the proper carriage-return line-feed. (CrLf) I have experimented with saving the files in various coding formats (windows this, western that, etc) and nothing seems to work. I have searched the forum and googled for various topics and not found what I need (windows text file coding formats, etc). It is a struggle for myself as a linux freshman to show my collegues how well linux works and really hard when I can't transfer simple text files between machines.
Help would greatly be appreciated!!

Namaste,
Kevin Tough

AlexThomson_NZ
8th February 2007, 01:16 AM
I am not sure exactly what you are asking- if you are asking for a better way to transfer files between PC's how about over the network or on a USB stick? As far as I am aware a windows formatted floppy should be readable on Linux (if that was what you were inquiring). If you are asking what encoding method to use, I have to suggest UTF-8 I guess as that is pretty much the standard for test files now.

Like you I am the sole Linux desktop in a sea of Windows PC's at work, but I have never had a CR issue- what programs are you saving from in Windows and what are you opening them with in Linux- I will try to duplicate, and see if there is a good way around it.

codergeek42
8th February 2007, 01:20 AM
The `dos2unix` and `unix2dos` utilities will help you switch the two automagically.

Thankfully, modern Unix-like systems store their internal data in a Unicode representation (usually UTF-8 with Linux), which mandates that either of these two should represent a full end-of-line encoding (among other variants). I recall reading that Windows XP/2003 store their data in Unicode as well, but have seen no such behavior when I try transferring files between Win XP at work and my Fedora box at home. :-/

See Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End-of-line) for more information on those if you're interested.

kevin tough
8th February 2007, 11:29 PM
From a console window type in "info unix2dos" or "man unix2dos" to learn about the converting utility. This works very well. Thanks codergeek42!
I have also book marked the Wikipedia. That looks like another great resource.

Some programs from Microsoft do not correctly recognize the newline control character. The Visual Basic program I wrote for converting pick-and-place data and windows Notepad are two of these programs. If you use the command line utility mentioned above then the file will be Microsoft friendly.

Namaste,

Kevin Tough