PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get Java to Work?

imdaryl
7th February 2007, 09:44 PM
I like to play yahoo games (euchre). But when I try to go to the games it says I need Java Runtime Environment. I must have tried 7 or more different instructions, still no go. I'm almost thinking I should uninstall Java and start from scratch. Can anyone give me any pointers, or has anyone had success with java and the plugins? One more thing, when I go to /opt I have 2 directories/folder in it (jre1.5.0_11 & jre1.6.0) could this be my problem? And if yes, how do I get rid of one or the other?
I'm running FC6 and Firefox 2.0.
By the way, i'm still a noob, please be gentle. Thanks

quik69
7th February 2007, 09:52 PM
http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html#Java

Read and follow those instructions exactly and you should be good to go

you'll probably want flash as well, just yum install flash-plugin

edit:

sorry.. about your question, no the multiple dir's shouldnt be a problem(except wasted space) if you want to use the newest jre then just follow the directions from stanton-finley but subsitute in the latest jre.x.x.x for the one in the commands on sf's wesite

imdaryl
7th February 2007, 09:54 PM
I edited my post while you replied. Do you think I should uninstall java before I try again?

nick.stumpos
7th February 2007, 10:47 PM
if you have the java in /opt already then you shouldnt have to reinstall, please post the output of
ls -l /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
ls -l /opt
java -v
/usr/sbin/alternatives --display java
and
echo $PATH

imdaryl
7th February 2007, 11:32 PM
I tried to uninstall it (java), and messed something up, I'm currently reinstalling FC6 (3rd time, I'm getting pretty good at reinstall, don't ask). However I'll still be in the same fix when I get it reloaded, up and running. Has anyone tried to got to Yahoo games and tried to play euchre? If yes did you have any problem? What version of java are you running? IE jre1.6.0 or jre1.5.0-11 or an earlier version? I guess I'd like to know what java is best suited to FC6, from what I've read, it may be an older version, not the latest, any suggestions or advice?

jim
7th February 2007, 11:39 PM
followed my own instructions and playing now...

imdaryl
7th February 2007, 11:49 PM
Thanks Jim
I see you have jre1.6, good to know that works. Are the instruction the same for Firefox 2.0? Would I need to substitute firefox for mozilla?

jim
8th February 2007, 12:27 AM
running firefox 2.0 now

imdaryl
8th February 2007, 02:30 AM
Jim
I followed your instruction per your page, worked like a charm, this ole goat thanks you tremendously.