PDA

View Full Version : Problem Trying to reinstall windows Xp

v0lkl
7th February 2007, 02:05 AM
I came to the conclusion that i want to re-install XP for various reasons of my own person values. When i try to reinstall Xp from my Boot CD the following happens.

After i am prompted to press a key, I press a key. It then proceeds to check my hardware configuration. after some time nothing happens further in the setup of XP. Please be mature in responding to my request for help due to the urgency of my situation. All solutions are greatly Appreciated. Im new to this forum so be nice :D

mwette
7th February 2007, 02:15 AM
It would help if you tied this to Fecora some how.
Is my assumption that you are dual booting correct? If so, boot to Fedora and run "fdisk -l".
What is the Id/System of the partition you use for WinXP?

nick.stumpos
7th February 2007, 02:26 AM
run gparted live distro and completely wipe the drive then retry

JN4OldSchool
7th February 2007, 02:33 AM

What I was going to say, but I couldnt do it in a mature way :mad: :D :mad: :D :mad: :mad: :D :p :p :rolleyes:

v0lkl
7th February 2007, 02:37 AM
Im running only linux, and to nick. Please explain this in a noob friendly manner :D

JN4OldSchool
7th February 2007, 02:40 AM
Im running only linux, and to nick. Please explain this in a noob friendly manner :D

The linux grub kinda takes things over. Provided you dont have any hardware issues it is probably the lack of a usable partition that is stumping XP. You simply need to reformat using any third party partitioning tool. GParted is just the one most Linux guys use.

leigh123linux
7th February 2007, 02:45 AM

dont forget to rewrite the disklabel

v0lkl
7th February 2007, 02:46 AM
this is odd... I Ejected the Cd and i am now getting the commadn prompt Grub> although this has happened i should be able to use my gparted liveCD to reformat Correct?

EDIT: Problem solved. Thanks for all the help.

mwette
7th February 2007, 03:34 AM
this is odd... I Ejected the Cd and i am now getting the commadn prompt Grub> although this has happened i should be able to use my gparted liveCD to reformat Correct?

You want to repartition. Boot from the gparted liveCD and set up a partition
with Id 7 (NTFS). Set up others for Linux ext3 (Id 0x83) and swap (Id 0x82).
Then install WinXP and afterwards Fedora.

v0lkl
7th February 2007, 03:51 AM
thanks again for all the help. im currently reinstalling XP. But i am putting fedora core 6 on my laptop. so im not completely out of the linux thing

mwette
7th February 2007, 03:55 AM
thanks again for all the help. im currently reinstalling XP. But i am putting fedora core 6 on my laptop. so im not completely out of the linux thing

So that was a waste of time :)