PDA

View Full Version : Config with different users

Contrid
6th February 2007, 10:45 PM
Hi there,

I'm asking many annoying questions as a Linux newbie, but I'm certainly learning alot in the process and without the help of the guys on this forum, I would've been lost.

Ok...so I launch an application from the terminal as "root". Example "vmware" which is a virtual server for running other operating systems in case you're not familiar with it.

Then...I do some configuration, install another Os, etc...
But when I launch this application with my current user account (not "root") I cannot see any of my settings or even see the Os I installed. When I launch the application ("vmware") as "root" again, I see everything I did previously.

I realize that this is quite logical, but my question is, how can I copy/port those settings created as "root" to my current user account so that when I launch the application with my current user account I can see the configuration done as "root"

Your advice will be appreciated.

paul matthijsse
6th February 2007, 10:53 PM
According to me, if I remember well, you can run the vmware setup from your user account via the root password and after that every OS you install as a user in the VM is available for that user. Works this way here, anyway.

Contrid
6th February 2007, 11:20 PM
According to me, if I remember well, you can run the vmware setup from your user account via the root password and after that every OS you install as a user in the VM is available for that user. Works this way here, anyway.

Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it.
Question is...what I've alreay configured and installed with "root". How will I use that with my current user account without having to be "root"?

JN4OldSchool
6th February 2007, 11:28 PM
To clarify on Paul's post, you dont want to EVER log in as root. Others will tell you different and I do it on occasion, but this is dangerous and there really isnt much reason for it. You want to always log in as a user and su or su - to root when needed. I think you will want to reinstall your guest OS's in VMWare under whatever user account you will be using. I am not sure how this works if you want to access the same VMWare guests under different users. Surely you wont have to install the same OS multiple times under different user accounts? But if you only need access under one account then just reinstall VMWare as a user as suggested.

Contrid
6th February 2007, 11:38 PM
To clarify on Paul's post, you dont want to EVER log in as root. Others will tell you different and I do it on occasion, but this is dangerous and there really isnt much reason for it. You want to always log in as a user and su or su - to root when needed. I think you will want to reinstall your guest OS's in VMWare under whatever user account you will be using. I am not sure how this works if you want to access the same VMWare guests under different users. Surely you wont have to install the same OS multiple times under different user accounts? But if you only need access under one account then just reinstall VMWare as a user as suggested.

Sorry...I didn't login as root.
I used the "su -" command from the terminal to launch "vmware"
Now...when I execute the command "vmware" without "su -" to become root, then I don't see my OS's.

JN4OldSchool
6th February 2007, 11:59 PM
I see, sorry I misunderstood. I dont know any way around this except to install VMWare under your regular user account and install the guest OS(s) the same way. Hope someone else has better news for you...

Contrid
7th February 2007, 12:09 AM
I see, sorry I misunderstood. I dont know any way around this except to install VMWare under your regular user account and install the guest OS(s) the same way. Hope someone else has better news for you...

No Problem at all. I appreciate the help.
I guess it's not a big issue...I could just "su -" from the terminal and run "vmware"
It's just out of curiousity that I'm asking. It's a universal question...not just for "vmware" but all other types of applications and configuration settings in general. (same with Beryl actually)

paul matthijsse
7th February 2007, 03:25 PM
what happens when you simply copy the dirs with the virtual OSes from your root account to some user account? Can't you start them from there as user?