PDA

View Full Version : how to write in chinese characters??

lanchongzi
6th February 2007, 01:42 PM
hi to all of you
first of all I am new to the whole linux world and i am not THAT technical
but i like the whole Linux idea so i decided to use it instead of windows

but since i study in China I NEED to be able to write in chinese.
I am looking for it already 3 days now all I can find is a dictionary, a translator some fonts and a REALLY complicated instruction from a student webpage.

I need to be able to switch between chinese and english in the same text
and i dont know how to get the plugins or updates

i will be more than thankfull for every tip you guys could give me

I use fc5 but what hardware is in there i dont really know ( and i dont know how to find that out ) :rolleyes:

OK i found out that i can write using chinese character, if i lock out and change the language used in the session.
But thats not very convenient
so it IS possible to write, BUT how can i have my english session AND write chinese if I want to
( I also use QQ which is a chinese ICQ kinda thing and for that one i need to write chinese )

Thecowking
6th February 2007, 03:12 PM
Hmm I'll keep an eye on this, I need chinese character input too. I tried throwing a few of the input programs listed on Yumex on my machine but damned if I can find out how to activate them.

lanchongzi
6th February 2007, 03:19 PM
i found this http://forum.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=140807&highlight=chinese+characters

but i dont get it ( sorry i am really dumb with computers)

Thecowking
6th February 2007, 03:43 PM
i found this http://forum.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=140807&highlight=chinese+characters

but i dont get it ( sorry i am really dumb with computers)

Hmm interesting, I'm at work at the moment but I'll have a look at that again when I get home. If I get it working I'll tell you here :)

Thecowking
6th February 2007, 07:33 PM
很好!I got it! :)

in terminal;
su
Password:
yum -y install scim
yum -y install scim-pinyin
mkdir -p ~/.xinput.d
ln -s /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim ~/.xinput.d/default

restart the X server and you've got pinyin input!
Ctrl+ space activates it :)

lanchongzi
7th February 2007, 03:37 AM
thanks man

you really helped out a lot

gonna try it right away, cant wait to use my LumaQQ hehe

thanks again

jcoles
15th March 2007, 12:01 PM
I use SCIM for Chinese input. Somehow, I managed to activate some options that I could figure out how to use. It is potentially very complicated. Does anyone know where there is good documentation for SCIM? (/usr/share/doc/scim has only brief readmes.)

My only remaining problem is with pinyin words that use the u-with-umlaut. I have no way to enter this character on US English or US International keyboard. (Again, where would this be documented?) Thus, I cannot enter common words like "nu ren" (woman) or "lu" (colour green).

Can anyone help me with this silly, but annoying problem?

Wayne
15th March 2007, 12:10 PM
Actually, you can add Chinese language support from the Add/Remove Programs utility in the Gnome Applications menu. The last 2 commands still apply though:

mkdir -p ~/.xinput.d
ln -s /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim ~/.xinput.d/default

Same thing goes for Japanese or Hangul support. You can switch languages from an icon on the Panel (Need to logout and back in after installing support and running those 2 commands) or you can use Ctrl + Space.

Wayne

lanchongzi
15th March 2007, 03:54 PM
My only remaining problem is with pinyin words that use the u-with-umlaut. I have no way to enter this character on US English or US International keyboard. (Again, where would this be documented?) Thus, I cannot enter common words like "nu ren" (woman) or "lu" (colour green).

nvren ( women ) you have to change u to v
that's it

jcoles
15th March 2007, 05:32 PM
lanchongzi,

谢谢你!
Thanks!

lanchongzi
15th March 2007, 11:38 PM
you are welcome :)
btw you study chinese or are you chinese?
see, since QQ doesnt really work under LINUX ( and that is like the most important chat client used in China )
i would love to use a Linux chat client and using chinese
to be honest i don't really write so many text in chinese ( other then chatting :) )
so if there is a chinese chat group you know of please let me know
it's fun to chat in chinese

:)