PDA

View Full Version : Kernel 2.6.19 panics at a random time

valmar73
6th February 2007, 12:39 PM
Good morning everyone. My distro- hopping finally brought me to Fedora. I like the distro a lot and it has the potential to be a long-standing one for me. I just have a couple of problems and thought maybe you can help me.

The problem is: when I leave my pc on for hours, at a random time the kernel seems to panic. What I mean is that the machine freezers and the leds on the keyboard start to blink. I am using a amd 3000+ (64 bit) with an nvidia motherboard with an N51 chip. I also have a nvidia 7300 graphic card which gives me some problems. So I think they mght be an interrupt problem. The kernel is the latest, 2.6.19.

Could someone please point out to me how to diagnose interrupt conflicts and fix them? Or if someone knows the reason for the kernel panics. Please be as detailed as you want because I like to learn

Thank you in advance

Valerio

bruno.taglienti
6th February 2007, 01:02 PM
Did you test your RAM with memtest?

valmar73
6th February 2007, 02:24 PM
Thank you for the suggestions I will try it as soon as I get home. I started memtest sometimes, but never had it run through completely.

Thanks again.

Valerio

bruno.taglienti
6th February 2007, 02:47 PM
Check also for overheating problems

valmar73
6th February 2007, 03:55 PM
I know how to check for the overheating of the graphic card using the nvidia-setting panel, but could you please tell me if there is a sofware way to determine the temperature of the CPU?

Thank you

bruno.taglienti
6th February 2007, 04:07 PM
use lm_sensors

pjfg
6th February 2007, 04:26 PM
You are not the only one with problems with 2.6.19. With either xen enabled or non xen kernels I'll have a lock up within about 24 hours. The other strange one is a reset triggered every time an rsync backup is run ( the chrooted /var/named seems to be the culprit). These problems do not occur in 2.6.18.xxx kernels.

valmar73
7th February 2007, 01:19 PM
Hello! I haven't had time to try the memtest. However, I quickly tried rebooting into kernel 2.6.18 and the pc has been running for 12 hours without crashing. I also read the other posts dealing with problems with the 19 kernel. Has anyone any idea of what might be the problem? Thinking back, I realized that the crash often happened when using beryl or compiz or playing a video with Xvmc support. That's why I thought it was an interrupt problem.

Thank you for your help, anyway. For now everything seems to be fine!

Valerio

valmar73
8th February 2007, 10:36 AM
Hello again! I run memtest and everything is fine. I amusing kernel 2.6.18 and everything seemed fine. However, yesterday evening the computer crashed again. While investingating I noticed some strange message in the output of dmseg. I googled around and I think I might have this problem:

http://kerneltrap.org/node/7276

The messages are very similar and I have an nvidia board. I am now running with the noapic and nosmp options. Let's see if it is stable!

Thank you all for helping me out

Valerio

name_user
8th February 2007, 05:17 PM
I have similar problem recent days after upgrated to kernel 2.6.19. The messages under /var/log shows a line of "NetworkManager invoked oom-killer..." before crashed.

gundark
9th February 2007, 01:45 AM
I get all kinds of problems and it seems to have started sense I upgraded to 2.6.19, my problems are included but not limited to locking up when I:
Switch tabs in firefox, and work in the enlightenment desktop environment

gundark
9th February 2007, 01:51 AM
sorry by lock up I mean the moust cursor animation locks up, the mouse still moves, the keyboard doens't respond and the only thing I can do is pull the power

valmar73
14th February 2007, 12:25 PM
Good day everyone. Running kernel 2.6.18 everything seems very fine, at least during last week. I had vrashes but I think they are related to another issue! I hope they fix things for kernel 2.6.20!

Valerio