PDA

View Full Version : FC 6 Architecture Selection Problem

Peter_APIIT
6th February 2007, 10:21 AM
I planning to install FC6 to my computer but i don"t know which architecture is suite my pc and have less headaches.

Which one should i choose, the i386 or x86_64 ?

Below is my computer specifications.

AMD Athlon 3500++
Asus - M2N-E
Geforce 7100 GS
Western Digital 160 GDB(SATA)
and 80 GDB HDD(IDE)
512 Mb DDR2 533 MHZ

Your help is greatly appreciated by me.

Thansk in advance.

jbkt23
6th February 2007, 12:11 PM
What are you going to use the computer for? What devices are you going to connect?
See SATA thread in this or installation help forum.
See flashplayer thread this forum. i686 works out of the box once installed via yum.
I run x86_64, but have not tried the latest flashplayer, so no youtube for me.

jbkt23

Peter_APIIT
7th February 2007, 08:44 AM
I use the computer for programming development, entertaintment such video or music and some interesting software such 3D application. What the differences between i386 and i686. I have seen in the forum mentioned that fedora core kernel install option got problem.

The kernel should install i686 but is i586. i586 is not working for NVIDIA graphics card.

That why i post this topic to ask all of you opinion.

jbkt23
7th February 2007, 12:32 PM
I use the computer for programming development, entertaintment such video or music and some interesting software such 3D application. What the differences between i386 and i686. I have seen in the forum mentioned that fedora core kernel install option got problem.

At the install boot prompt type: linux i686

The kernel should install i686 but is i586. i586 is not working for NVIDIA graphics card.

After the install you will have to use yum to install the nvidia drivers: yum install kmod-nvidia

That why i post this topic to ask all of you opinion.

My opinion is that Fedora is pretty dam stable for a bleeding edge distribution that has 3D graphics and tries to update drivers for all devices ASAP. That said things break on ocassion depending on kernel and Xorg updates. The thing is that if you read the forums there is usually a work around posted till things are fixed.

jbkt23

Peter_APIIT
8th February 2007, 12:55 PM
Do you know where i can check the solution to install the NVIDIA Cards ?

Thanks for your help

jbkt23
9th February 2007, 02:27 AM