PDA

View Full Version : Need basic code help

broncbuster
6th February 2007, 03:08 AM
Hello,

I'm trying my best to learn this stuff, and i'm making progress, but i learn better when i understand more of what the code means that i'm using, rather than just blindly inserting bits of code into the terminal. So, will you please explain what these different commands stand for? THanks a ton.

sh
yum
echo
chmod
rm

These are just a few, i know, but i need to take baby steps. Also, I was using Ubuntu before switching to Fedora and Ubuntu has a handy program called Automatix2 that gets and installs some nice packages to your pc in addition to the add/remove programs link on the applications menu. Is there anything like that in Fedora? Also, how do i watch DVD's? When i insert a dvd and try to watch it using Totem, It doesn't work. I know this is a lot of questions for one thread, but I really need help.

Wayne
6th February 2007, 03:21 AM
Hello,

I'm trying my best to learn this stuff, and i'm making progress, but i learn better when i understand more of what the code means that i'm using, rather than just blindly inserting bits of code into the terminal. So, will you please explain what these different commands stand for? THanks a ton.

sh
yum
echo
chmod
rm

These are just a few, i know, but i need to take baby steps. Also, I was using Ubuntu before switching to Fedora and Ubuntu has a handy program called Automatix2 that gets and installs some nice packages to your pc in addition to the add/remove programs link on the applications menu. Is there anything like that in Fedora? Also, how do i watch DVD's? When i insert a dvd and try to watch it using Totem, It doesn't work. I know this is a lot of questions for one thread, but I really need help.

Look in the howto section for how to play DVDs or you can look here:

http://www.geocities.jp/rondonko/fc6notes.html

If you want it all done for you then search for "Fedora Frog"

As for your question on Linux commands, using Google with the search term "Linux command reference" brought up tons of hits, the first of which was:

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/cmd/

Wayne

joe.pelayo
6th February 2007, 03:26 AM
You can use the man command with all the instructions you want to learn (well, most of them). For example man yum will show you yum's help page.
To watch DVD's you'll need a program called Xine. I suggest you to try Kaffeine (it uses Xine's engine). Besided you will need to enable the livna repo to download a package called libdvdcss that will finally allow you to decrypt DVD's (required for playback).
To do that open a terminal and log in as root:

su -
your_root_password
rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-6.rpm
yum install libdvdcss

You can as well install YUMEX (yum install yumex), it is a GUI for YUM (similar to that Ubuntu has).
Good luck.
Joe.

Wayne
6th February 2007, 03:27 AM
On second thoughts, it looks like Frog is off the menu :D

http://easylinux.info/wiki/Fedora_frog#Notice_about_FC6

Wayne

Wayne
6th February 2007, 03:40 AM
He may be using Gnome so totem-xine (or Mplayer) with the needed plugins would be better than Kaffeine which is an app used by that nasty KDE thing :D Or maybe a better choice would be VLC (Videolan Client) It plays most formats without extra codecs.

Wayne

broncbuster
6th February 2007, 06:43 AM
Thanks for the replies y'all. I tried xine, kaffeine, VLC and another one that i can't remember the name. I would get an error saying that i don't have permission or i just plain couldn't open the dvd. By the way, my username is currently NOT in the sudoers file. I don't know how to add it. I DO want to keep having to enter the password when i sudo something, but i don't want to screw up my sudo. Any suggestions?

Wayne
6th February 2007, 06:48 AM
Thanks for the replies y'all. I tried xine, kaffeine, VLC and another one that i can't remember the name. I would get an error saying that i don't have permission or i just plain couldn't open the dvd. By the way, my username is currently NOT in the sudoers file. I don't know how to add it. I DO want to keep having to enter the password when i sudo something, but i don't want to screw up my sudo. Any suggestions?

Sudo is what is used in Ubuntu but in Fedora you have a root (administrator) user. In a Terminal type:

su -

That is su dash

Give the root password and then do what you want to do.

Wayne