PDA

View Full Version : Firefox and Adobe Flash site don't agree on Flash version

schwim
6th February 2007, 02:48 AM
Hi there peoples,

I upgraded flash via yum a few weeks ago, and noted that about:plugins keeps showing 7.0, so I figured I needed to look into it.

Fastforward a few weeks(I know, I'm really bad about keeping on top of things):

I start searching the forums on the proper upgrade method, but didn't find anything, so Googling led me to the Adobe flash page. On that page, there is a flash block that tells you the version you are running.

You have version 9,0,31,0 installed

Shockwave Flash
File name: libflashplayer.so
Shockwave Flash 7.0 r63

How do I get Firefox to recognize the correct flash module?

thanks,
json

Wayne
6th February 2007, 02:53 AM
Are you sure you only have one version of Flash 9 in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins?

I'd go through all the plugins directories under /usr/lib/firefox-1.x.x/plugins and make sure.

I use Swiftfox and it doesn't recognise the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory so I had to copy or link the plugins from there to /opt/swiftfox/plugins

Wayne

schwim
6th February 2007, 03:01 AM
obeekaybee.

In /usr/lib/Firefox-2.0/plugins, I have libflashplayer.so and flashplayer.xpt, but flashplayer.xpt is blinking with white text and a red background(probably because I symlinked it when I installed 2.0).

Where would I find the proper one to move over, and how do I symlink it again?

thanks,
json

Wayne
6th February 2007, 03:04 AM
obeekaybee.

In /usr/lib/Firefox-2.0/plugins, I have libflashplayer.so and flashplayer.xpt, but flashplayer.xpt is blinking with white text and a red background(probably because I symlinked it when I installed 2.0).

Where would I find the proper one to move over, and how do I symlink it again?

thanks,
json

If you use the Flash 9 RPM it will be placed in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

Edit: I just copied it using Gnome-Commander as root.

Wayne

schwim
6th February 2007, 03:10 AM
flashplayer.xpt is blinking in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins as well :(

Any other place it might be, or is my flash install b0rked?

thanks,
json

Wayne
6th February 2007, 03:13 AM
flashplayer.xpt is blinking in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins as well :(

Any other place it might be, or is my flash install b0rked?

thanks,
json

Well, that's blinking strange! I don't have a flashplayer.xpt file in any of my plugins directories! Maybe that's from the Flash 7 install? Before I installed Flash 9 I yum removed Flash 7.

Edit: There's also a /usr/lib/flash-plugin directory for 9 and no *.xpt file in their either!

Wayne

schwim
6th February 2007, 03:19 AM
Should I just remove those links and see if my problem is resolved? If so, do you think I should also delete the .so file as well?

thanks,
json

Wayne
6th February 2007, 03:23 AM
Should I just remove those links and see if my problem is resolved? If so, do you think I should also delete the .so file as well?

thanks,
json

Yeah, try removing the *.xpt files and check the site again. Make sure you have the same *.so in both directories though. Copy the one from /usr/lib/flash-plugin to be sure or use the setup program there.

Wayne

schwim
6th February 2007, 03:43 AM
the enigma that was wrapped in a conundrum just got run over by a mystery.

I deleted the .xpt file in both the ff2.0 and in mozilla dir's, cp'ed the .so file from the flash plugin dir (saving the original as a .bak file in the ff2.0 dir), and restarted.

about:plugins shows both the 9.0 and the 7.0 version. I'm not sure if it was this way previously, because I didn't think to look for two versions.

???

thanks,
json

Wayne
6th February 2007, 03:47 AM
It gets worser and worser! I've got a stinking cold, have used at least one tree on wiping my nose and my head feels like it's being pounded by sledgehammer! I'd yum remove Flash, make sure there are no versions of it left anywhere (no so or xpt files) and install again.

Wayne

schwim
6th February 2007, 03:59 AM
Sorry you feel bad sir. If you haven't, make sure you get the tissues with Aloe. They make your nose smile.

If the flash site thinks I'm running 9.0, then I guess I'll stick with what I've got. Yum is painful for me on dial-up, and I only use it when the system is at DefCon 4 :D

thanks for your help sir, and hope you feel better soon.

thanks,
json

Wayne
6th February 2007, 04:02 AM
Thanks, hope it's working OK now though. To alleviate the cold I think I'll go and throw stones at the neighbour's windows :D

Wayne