PDA

View Full Version : TvTime Help

Contrid
6th February 2007, 01:33 AM
Hi there,

Could anyone be so kind to point me to a "how to" for installing and configuring TvTime on my FC6 box?
I already installed TvTime using yum...but obviously there is still some configuration I need to do in order to load the necessary modules, etc... I honestly have no clue how to do this.

What I've done so far :

yum install tvtime

...and that's it.

Any help or assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

fedoraphile
6th February 2007, 02:00 AM
Have you looked at http://tvtime.sourceforge.net/usage.html ?

Contrid
6th February 2007, 02:08 AM
Have you looked at http://tvtime.sourceforge.net/usage.html ?

Hi Fedoraphile,

Thanks for posting this.
Honestly...I've been searching and searching on Google, but couldn't find anything.
I'll take the time right now and see if this will help me out.
Thanks again. I appreciate it.

fedoraphile
6th February 2007, 02:10 AM
Great, Contrid.

Let us know how things go. :)

Contrid
6th February 2007, 02:26 AM
Great, Contrid.

Let us know how things go. :)

I'm still a bit lost here... :(
Apparently I need some options in my /etc/modprobe.conf file...which I don't think I have.
This is what I have in the configuration file :

alias eth0 forcedeth
alias scsi_hostadapter sata_nv
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-intel8x0 index=0
remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0

...so I don't see anything about "bttv"

Other than that...I'm not really sure where to check or what to do.

Executing the command "/sbin/lspci -v" I get the following...so it's detecting it fine it seems.

03:07.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video Capture (rev 11)
Subsystem: KWorld Computer Co. Ltd. Unknown device 0878
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 16, IRQ 21
Memory at fddff000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
Capabilities: [44] Vital Product Data
Capabilities: [4c] Power Management version 2

03:07.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio Capture (rev 11)
Subsystem: KWorld Computer Co. Ltd. Unknown device 0878
Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 21
Memory at fddfe000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
Capabilities: [44] Vital Product Data
Capabilities: [4c] Power Management version 2

Contrid
6th February 2007, 02:36 AM
I found something useful here...
When I run tvtime from the terminal, I get the following error :

mixer: Can't open device /dev/mixer, mixer volume and mute unavailable.

...obviously this is the sound...but that has to be sorted as well.
Not sure about the tuning. I'm going to reboot now and run tvtime-scanner again.

Contrid
6th February 2007, 03:09 AM
Disregard the sound error. It seems like my vmware server was using my usb headset.
Even so...I still don't hear any sound. Let's leave that for now...I can try and sort that out.

Ok...so I've run tvtime-scanner several times, but it doesn't find any channels.
I know for a fact that the channels are there, since it works on my Ubuntu box. (just no sound).

Please see the screenshot of what I see :

http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/9388/tvtimebk5.th.png (http://img393.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tvtimebk5.png)

I'm going to try and install xawtv in the meantime.
Maybe it will work...maybe now. I'll post back in a few minutes.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

mdulzo
6th February 2007, 03:17 AM
My tv card uses the saa713x module to run. so maybe this isnt applicable to you, but i had to add this line to my modprobe.conf file.

options saa7134 card=10 tuner=39

It may be easy as changing saa7134 to the name of your bttv module name and the card and tuner numbers to their respective values for your card. I was able to find a list of card and tuner numbers for different cards, but its been a while and i can't remember where i found it.

Good luck, the tvcard has been one of the most difficult things i've had to configure.

fedoraphile
6th February 2007, 05:46 AM
Hmmm . . . my card uses the same BT878 chipset as yours. I see that you've run the channel scan, perhaps from the command line? Did you already try working with the gui setup first by starting tvtime, then right clicking on the application window to bring up the setup settings. If so, did you check/adjust the settings for NTSC cable mode, frequency table, etc.? If not, you may want to check these settings first with the gui before scanning channels for a signal.

Contrid
6th February 2007, 06:36 AM
Hmmm . . . my card uses the same BT878 chipset as yours. I see that you've run the channel scan, perhaps from the command line? Did you already try working with the gui setup first by starting tvtime, then right clicking on the application window to bring up the setup settings. If so, did you check/adjust the settings for NTSC cable mode, frequency table, etc.? If not, you may want to check these settings first with the gui before scanning channels for a signal.

Yeah...I've been struggling with this for several days.
I managed to get the card to work flawlessly on my Ubuntu box earlier today.
Problem is...I have no idea how these things work. What drivers, configuration files, modules, etc... it uses. I honestly don't know where to look for files and things.

Contrid
6th February 2007, 06:44 PM
Does anyone know what else I can check?
I'm really determined to make this work.

fedoraphile
7th February 2007, 02:07 AM
Did you already try using the gui to check/adjust the settings for NTSC cable mode, frequency table, etc.? The gui setup I mentioned in my previous post accesses 2 xml config files in a hidden directory called .tvtime in your home directory (tvtime.xml and stationlist.xml). To access the gui setup for tvtime, just right click on the app after launching it.

Alternatively, if the card works flawlessly in your Ubuntu box, you might try copying over the two config files from your Ubuntu box ~/.tvtime/tvtime.xml and ~/.tvtime/stationlist.xml to the ~/.tvtime directory on your Fedora machine.

Contrid
7th February 2007, 02:27 AM
Did you already try using the gui to check/adjust the settings for NTSC cable mode, frequency table, etc.? The gui setup I mentioned in my previous post accesses 2 xml config files in a hidden directory called .tvtime in your home directory (tvtime.xml and stationlist.xml). To access the gui setup for tvtime, just right click on the app after launching it.

Alternatively, if the card works flawlessly in your Ubuntu box, you might try copying over the two config files from your Ubuntu box ~/.tvtime/tvtime.xml and ~/.tvtime/stationlist.xml to the ~/.tvtime directory on your Fedora machine.

Ok...I've tried that...but still nothing.
What I don't understand is why tvtime-scanner doesn't find any channels.
My question is...what drivers, modules, etc... do I have to install manually?

Like I mentioned, it's working great on my Ubuntu box. I'm sure I can get it to work on my Fedora box if only I knew where the problem lies. (and I use my Fedora box all the time while the other one is just a backup incase)

Let me just say...
When I installed Fedora, I used the first two (2) discs only.
I didn't do the full 5/6 disc installation.
Could there be some missing drivers/packages due to this?

Contrid
7th February 2007, 02:35 AM
In Ubuntu, I have a "modules" file located at "/etc/modules"
Will this be "/etc/modprobe.conf" in Fedora?

Contrid
7th February 2007, 02:49 AM
Wooohooo!!! I got it to work.
I had to edit some module configuration files.
I will most definitely write a how to and post it here on the forum.

Now...in Ubuntu I was also struggling with the sound at first but managed to sort it out.
I also don't have sound right now, but I'll surely be able to fix that after some time.

See my screenshot : :D

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/9950/tvtimers4.th.png (http://img392.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tvtimers4.png)

Contrid
7th February 2007, 03:12 AM
Regarding the sound...
My sound card is not installed. I have an AC'97 onboard soundcard.
99% of the time, I use my USB headset, but I won't be able to use that with my tv card...atleast I don't think so.

Another minor problem I have...
When I close tvtime, the sound doesn't stop. :)

Contrid
7th February 2007, 06:59 AM
My sound issue is fixed.
Not by installing my soundcard, but by plugging the speakers into the audio out of the tv card.
Since I hardly ever use my speakers...they can stay in that port.
Next obstacle : making my usb headset work with tvtime :)
I'll post back here if I get that to work. Right now...no luck. :(