PDA

View Full Version : RealPlayer and Mplayer-Plugin

Wayne
6th February 2007, 12:20 AM
Just a little advice to people who have installed RealPlayer 10 Gold and Mplayer-Plugin from Extras and are having problems when trying to watch RealPlayer clips from the BBC and other sites. This is because that version of Mplayer-plugin comes with an OSS RealPlayer 9 compatible plugin. Your choice is to either install this version of mplayer-plugin:

http://fedoranews.org/tchung/mplayerplug-in/3.31/mplayerplug-in-3.31-1.fc5.i386.rpm

Or if you have installed the Extras version look in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins (and any other plugin directories you may have) and look for a file called:

mplayerplug-in-rm.so

and either rename it or delete it. Be aware though, that next time there's an update you'll have to do it again!

Also, if you open a root Terminal and run:

realplay

and this will setup the necessary helpers for Mozilla/Firefox to play RealPlayer clips.

Anyway, this is what worked for me and I have no problems with RealPlayer 10.

Wayne

ttx336
29th November 2007, 06:16 PM
Wayne,

I believe I read somewhere that RealPlayer can play .mp3 if it has the proper plugin, is that correct? I thought there was some kind of licensing issue that prevented that.

Gary

rclark
30th November 2007, 09:09 PM
Thanks Wayne.... That got it working for me.... Now watch NASA TV again on my Linux Box.

Dan
30th November 2007, 10:33 PM
Ahhhh! That's got it! Thanks, Wayne!

leigh123linux
30th November 2007, 10:38 PM
Why do it this way when you can do a simple edit ? :)

su
gedit /etc/mplayerplug-in.conf

vo=gl
ao=alsa
cachesize=512
cache-percent=25
dload-dir=/home/leigh
showtime=1
enable-wmp=1
enable-qt=1
enable-rm=0
enable-gmp=1
enable-dvx=1
enable-mpeg=1
enable-mp3=1
enable-ogg=1
enable-midi=1
enable-pls=1
enable-smil=1
enable-helix=0
nomediacache=0
nopauseonhide=1
rtsp-use-tcp=0
rtsp-use-http=0

Dangermouse
30th November 2007, 11:08 PM
Or you could do it from gconf-editor

desktop > gnome > url-handlers > rtsp". Check the value for "command" - it will probably read totem "%s". Change the entry to read realplay "%s" and close gconf editor (right click edit key)

rclark
1st December 2007, 12:36 AM
Why do it this way when you can do a simple edit .... IF you know about the 'simple' edit :) hah!

Dangermouse
1st December 2007, 10:48 AM
.... IF you know about the 'simple' edit :) hah!
that is a simple edit

rclark
2nd December 2007, 12:41 AM
Okay, I must agree, a simple edit IF you 'knew' in the first place (have the knowledge) where to find the place to implement it. Once you know, then vi is your friend and it becomes a 'simple' edit. Sorry I miswrote that :rolleyes: .