PDA

View Full Version : HOWTO: Playing DVDs in FC6

yetigrey0864
5th February 2007, 05:18 PM
After a little work, I was able to get a dvd player installed and running, VLC, with just a few easy steps. The software is installed using yum, a program that is run through a terminal.

Begin by opening a terminal under Applications>Accessories>Terminal.

Then type:
su -

This will ask for the root password, which is required to install the software.

First type:
yum -y install livna-release

This will allow yum to search the livna repositories, which contain libraries required to play commercial dvds.

Next type:
yum -y install vlc libdvdcss libdvdplay libdvdnav

After the install is complete, type: exit at the command prompt and press Enter to close the terminal. Now the software is installed, and can be found in Applications>Sound & Video>VLC media player. Enjoy using the free player on your free OS.

leigh123linux
5th February 2007, 05:37 PM
arghh. I forgot perhaps the most important part in the line. duh.

Here is what should be typed (from Next type: above)

Next type:
yum -y install vlc libdvdcss libdvdplay libdvdnav

sorry about that.

Perhaps you should add that the fedora repos dont provide libdvdcss ( something to do with FOSS ) and it might be useful to install the livna release key ;)

rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/6/i386/livna-release-6-1.noarch.rpm

yetigrey0864
6th February 2007, 01:29 AM
yup-that makes forget times two..
I'll repost this edit on friday, it's up to spec.

Wayne
6th February 2007, 02:04 AM
I took Stanton Finley's advice in his FC5 notes and kept away from Livna and installed all the codecs and stuff I needed from Dries and Freshrpms. The only thing I use from Livna is totem-xine.

Wayne

leigh123linux
6th February 2007, 02:59 AM
I took Stanton Finley's advice in his FC5 notes and kept away from Livna and installed all the codecs and stuff I needed from Dries and Freshrpms. The only thing I use from Livna is totem-xine.

Wayne

Why use three repos when one can provide 99% of packages, personally I wouldn't touch Dries and Freshrpms with a 10ft barge pole :D

Wayne
6th February 2007, 03:06 AM
Why use three repos when one can provide 99% of packages, personally I wouldn't touch Dries and Freshrpms with a 10ft barge pole :D

I think Stanton hinted the same thing toward Livna :D I think because they went out of their way to use incompatible naming conventions for their RPMs, which could cause no end of problems.

Edit: Anyway, I don't like the name "Livna" sounds weird :D

Wayne

leigh123linux
6th February 2007, 03:26 AM
I think Stanton hinted the same thing toward Livna :D I think because they went out of their way to use incompatible naming conventions for their RPMs, which could cause no end of problems.

Edit: Anyway, I don't like the name "Livna" sounds weird :D

Wayne

At least theres a choice :cool: