PDA

View Full Version : Help with Yum

highcaliber
5th February 2007, 04:03 PM
Is there a way to install all available yum updates at one time, instead of one by one?

bob
5th February 2007, 04:12 PM
??? Are you using 'yum -y update' ??? Perhaps I don't understand what the question is.

bob
5th February 2007, 04:17 PM
Have you checked these out?
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/yum/en/
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tools/yum

highcaliber
5th February 2007, 11:43 PM
thanks for the replies

Well i have run 'yum update' however,

when it downloads the packages it gets an error on the transaction

-----------------------------------------
Running Transaction Test
Finished Transaction Test

Transaction Check Error:

--------------------------------------------

it says files are conflicting after the check error
any help?

JN4OldSchool
5th February 2007, 11:51 PM
The way I usually work out of these kinks is to install yumex:

yum install yumex

Then, run that and try to update by selecting all and adding to que then processing que. It will return the particular package/s that are giving you a problem. Exclude them by removing them from the que. Then update everything else then go back and try running a yum update again. This should remove the snag. You might also want to run a

yum clean all

before you attempt this.

bob
5th February 2007, 11:55 PM
And, one other suggestion I have for that is to use yum to install apt & synaptic and then allow synaptic to 'fix broken packages' which may clean things up. Also, if there's a dependency error, you can install the yum 'skip-broken' plugin as described here:http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/SoftwareManagementGuide/CustomizingYum

highcaliber
6th February 2007, 03:05 AM
thanks for the advice i am still messing with it

highcaliber
6th February 2007, 09:30 PM
how do i remove updates from the que?

b_martinez
6th February 2007, 11:20 PM
OT , kinda......
Bob, can you post an apt-sources file for FC6,please?
Thanks,
Bill

bob
6th February 2007, 11:35 PM
Bill, I'm in another distro right now but I didn't put in any apt-sources myself. When I installed apt & synaptic, they set it up based on my yum repos.d

b_martinez
6th February 2007, 11:48 PM
Bob, i just got finished reading another forum's posts on apt-sources.list in FC6. I assumed it would be in /etc/apt/sources.list. It's actually in "/etc/apt/sources.list.d".
That'll learn me to read the information before letting my fingers do my talking.
Thank You,
Bill

hiberphoptik
6th February 2007, 11:52 PM
The way I usually work out of these kinks is to install yumex:

yum install yumex

Then, run that and try to update by selecting all and adding to que then processing que. It will return the particular package/s that are giving you a problem. Exclude them by removing them from the que. Then update everything else then go back and try running a yum update again. This should remove the snag. You might also want to run a

yum clean all

before you attempt this.

yeah yumex is really nice! I have tried using synaptic's "fix broken packages" option but it has hosed my system both time i tried it (FC4 and FC5) soooo I removed it , installed yumex and never looked back

sgtbob
7th February 2007, 01:36 AM
I had a problem with elfutils 123 vs 125 and in trying to correct it evidently lost yum altogether. How can I recover yum in FC6? I've run the rescue disc, but that didn't help and I notice that I no longer have a software update feature in Applications --> System Tools - its like the yum feature just vanished. How to re-install it? When I try viia root, at 'yum -y update' I get the following (not sure what info to furnish, but please advise):

[root@localhost ~]# yum -y update
-bash: yum: command not found
[root@localhost ~]#

Bob :confused:

bob
7th February 2007, 03:45 AM
Bob, can you just grab the latest yum from one of the mirrors and then install it with 'rpm -Uvh yum(version-number)' ?

sgtbob
7th February 2007, 12:49 PM
Bob - thatnks for the reply.

Here ios what I get when tryign that -

[root@localhost Desktop]# rpm -Uvh yum-3.0.3-1.src.rpm
-bash: rpm: command not found
[root@localhost Desktop]#

I sure hope I don't have to do a fresh install of FC6 - been there many times when I couldn 't figure what to do.

Bob

bob
7th February 2007, 01:27 PM
First of all, don't use the source codes, grab the rpm. Looks like you might have killed rpm too though. Try the instructions here: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=145858