PDA

View Full Version : openoffice doesn't start on Fedora core 7

LE3tPQ
5th February 2007, 04:22 AM
Hi all,
I selected openoffice during the installation process.
However, openoffice(2.1) wouldn't start.
It's same after update openoffice(2.2) using yum

What the worse is there are no error message. When I typed openoffice.org-2.0, it didn't give any message and didn't go to next prompt.

Of course, openoffice worked well on Fedora core 6

graphic card or selinux can affect this?
Any suggestion?

Wayne
5th February 2007, 04:24 AM
Hi all,
I selected openoffice during the installation process.
However, openoffice(2.1) wouldn't start.
It's same after update openoffice(2.2) using yum

What the worse is there are no error message. When I typed openoffice.org-2.0, it didn't give any message and didn't go to next prompt.

Of course, openoffice worked well on Fedora core 6

graphic card or selinux can affect this?
Any suggestion?

You must have a time machine! Fedora 7 (not called Core anymore) hasn't been released yet to the rest of us! What you have is Test 1 so either file bug reports to get it fixed or go with the current stable release, which is FC6!

Wayne

leigh123linux
5th February 2007, 04:34 AM
I dont think its fair to ask for help for a test release , these are meant for experienced linux users who can sort the bugs on their own.
you are going to have problems like this all the time with a test release.
Try using FC6 instead

LE3tPQ
5th February 2007, 04:35 AM
I know it's not final version but test 1. My other favorite programs work on FC7 test 1 except openoffice. If openoffice works well, I will be happy with FC7(test 1)

Wayne
5th February 2007, 05:00 AM
I know it's not final version but test 1. My other favorite programs work on FC7 test 1 except openoffice. If openoffice works well, I will be happy with FC7(test 1)

If you know it's only a test version and not a final release then you can't expect any help from these forums. The purpose of a test release is to find bugs and report them to the developers. You have found a bug so report it. If you want help with Fedora then install FC6. The choice is yours.

Wayne

Seve
5th February 2007, 08:21 AM
Hello;
If you are going to run the Test version then join the mailing list to solve your problems and get guidance regarding bugs and soltuions :
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-test-list

Seve

Wayne
9th February 2007, 04:13 AM
Wow!!! There's quite a few testy responses to this fellow. I can't quite figure out why either. Last time I checked this was the Fedora Forum. Not the "we only answer questions about stable (or more stable) releases forum".

How can you support something that is not finished and the majority of users don't have installed? The idea of a test or a beta is for developers to get bug reports, the OP has found a bug and should tell them. We aren't the developers, we're just users and most of us are on FC6 or maybe FC5 (and older in some cases)

Wayne

leigh123linux
9th February 2007, 04:19 AM
How can you support something that is not finished and the majority of users don't have installed? The idea of a test or a beta is for developers to get bug reports, the OP has found a bug and should tell them. We aren't the developers, we're just users and most of us are on FC6 or maybe FC5 (and older in some cases)

Wayne

Or Debian :cool:

Wayne
9th February 2007, 04:20 AM

Or windows :eek:

Edit: just kidding, there is a win2k machine here but it's just for my kids to play one or 2 games.

Wayne

Wayne
9th February 2007, 04:28 AM

I thought Etch had already been released, after all, you're using it, but today I read that it's being delayed till March or something!

On another note, I've been asked by a complete computer novice to go out and buy a 20" iMac :D I was originally asked to get a windows laptop but I refuse to support it and as it's really only for desk use it's a waste to pay more money for less horsepower with a laptop. I pointed out that a 17" iMac takes up little desk space and after explaining the difference between regular monitors and wide-screen was told "OK. I'll have the 20 incher" :D I'd make a great salesman!

Wayne

leigh123linux
9th February 2007, 04:38 AM
I thought Etch had already been released, after all, you're using it, but today I read that it's being delayed till March or something!

On another note, I've been asked by a complete computer novice to go out and buy a 20" iMac :D I was originally asked to get a windows laptop but I refuse to support it and as it's really only for desk use it's a waste to pay more money for less horsepower with a laptop. I pointed out that a 17" iMac takes up little desk space and after explaining the difference between regular monitors and wide-screen was told "OK. I'll have the 20 incher" :D I'd make a great salesman!

Wayne

Yes Etch is still a test release it seems that the developers want 100% perfection , I have been running Etch as my main OS ( The only OS I have installed ) for the last two months .

joe.pelayo
10th February 2007, 02:36 AM
Hello LE3tPQ.
Although I am not supposed to support a test release (in fact I have not even downloaded FC7 Test 1 yet) I will comment something I experienced today.
I downloaded and ran Knopix 5.1 in my computer. It is quite updated since the last time I saw it: KDE 3.5.5, OpenOffice 2.1. And guess what, OpenOffice.org failed to load (I tried several times) so perhaps the problem you found is within OpenOffice.org itself (which puts the problem out of reach to this forum) or maybe in the integration between KDE and OpenOffice.org (which yields the same result). Hopefully all this mess will be gone when Fedora 7 is released.
Joe.