PDA

View Full Version : Evolution, Gaim & Firefox not connecting

fc6_user
5th February 2007, 01:12 AM
I'm new to Linux, I'm starting to become acquainted with the command line, but would appreciate any explanations in addition to any possible solutions, if possible...

I'm using Fedora Core 6.

Ever since I've created a new user account using Konqueror, Kopete and Thunderbird Email in a KDE environment, other Internet-related programs on my initial GNOME user account (using Firefox, Evolution and Gaim) can no longer connect even though the general Internet connection is working. I finally figured out how to resolve the Firefox problem by switching off ipv6 via about:config, however I still can't get Evolution and Gaim working.

Although I can use Kopete and Thunderbird on my initial user account (and vice versa), I'd like to be able to use all of my Internet-related programs. Part of the reason why I've chosen to use KDE as well as GNOME, and several different browsers, IMs, etc. is to learn more about them, as well as fc and Linux in general.

Some clues:
In Evolution: "Error while Fetching Mail. Could not connect to pop.gmail.com: Connection timed out"
In GAIM: "xxxxxx disconnected: Unable to connect." / "xxxxx@hotmail.com disconnected: Connection error from Notification server: Unable to connect"

I've searched on the net and in many different linux forums, but haven't been able to find any solutions.

Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Jman
5th February 2007, 06:55 AM
The GNOME account was working prior to the creation of the KDE account? Strange.

How have you set up your POP account in Evolution? Search the gmail help groups for how, I don't think there's instructions for Evo.

joe.pelayo
5th February 2007, 07:21 AM
You can easily configure Gmail in Evolution. It is certainly not supported, just introduce the settings here when required http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13287&hl=es and make sure Evolution is working "online".

astawerksdotcom
5th February 2007, 09:39 PM
can you get to any websites? ping them? perhaps your nic is not enabled.

fc6_user
8th February 2007, 04:34 PM
I'm absolutely certain that gmail is configured properly because it works at home (evolution), however, it doesn't work at work. Yeah, I recently discovered that I'm having this problem at work, but at home certain things work. I'm going to try and figure out what works where and make a note of everything to give you a few more elements.

astawerksdotcom, could you tell me how to test with ping? I'm interested in networks and network connections, I just haven't had time to do enough reading up on it all yet.