PDA

View Full Version : nvidia and runlevel issues

drko
4th February 2007, 10:07 PM
In order to install the Nvidia driver, I must be in runlevel 3, so i type init 3 into the terminal, but the system freezes after it says "starting readahead [ok] staring irqbalance [ok]. It just stops there and won't accept any input. Is there a way I can fix this or is there a way I can install the driver via yum so I won't have to change runlevels?

cryo_genie
4th February 2007, 11:23 PM
Using root, change /etc/inittab to run level 3. Restart the system, login as root and install the driver. You can test by running startx. To go back to graphice mode boot just change that back to '5'.
BUT, this is unnecessary. You can install the nvidia driver in graphics mode by adding the livna repository to yum and then installing the driver by 'yum install kmod-nvidia'. This is the fedora preferred driver, since the nvidia driver changes some of the system's opengl libraries. Just be aware that some of us are having problems with hanging at the init mode 5 splash screen with the nvidia driver. If, you start in init mode 3, login, and then start the desktop by using startx, however, everything runs fine. You can automate that, by placing the 'startx' command at the end of your .bash_profile file ( a hidden file in your home directory).