PDA

View Full Version : yum updating but not some specific packages

ilbh
4th February 2007, 06:30 PM
hi

i had some issues when updated xine-lib, xine-lib-extras and xine-lib-extras-nonfree from version 1.1.3.3
to version 1.1.4

so. how can i run
yum update -y
but at the same time, avoiding to install those packages i said above ?

i hope you got what i mean.

thanks for any help

strategyoracle
4th February 2007, 06:58 PM
If there aren't too many other packages, you can name them like this:

yum -y update package1 package2 package3

Just put the name of all the packages you need to update except the offending ones after update and it should work.

EDIT: and you can get the list of packages that you need to update by running
yum update then choosing no to back out.

parish
4th February 2007, 07:10 PM
Alternately, you can exlude the specific packages:

yum update exclude=xine-lib exclude=xine-lib-extras...

and so on. Just did this for xine-lib a day or so ago. Also, I prefer to see what's actually going to be updated beforehand, so I don't usually use the -y option. Just a personal preference.

Daniel

fedoraphile
4th February 2007, 07:42 PM
To avoid typing "exclude=..." with your future yum update commands, you can add specific "exclude= " statements to your /etc/yum.conf file. Adding the line exclude=xine-lib to /etc/yum.conf, for instance, will exclude xine-lib from all future yum updates (until you decide to remove the global exclusion statement from /etc/yum.conf). Here is a copy of my /etc/yum.conf with the xine-lib exclusion:
[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
keepcache=0
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=redhat-release
tolerant=1
exactarch=1
obsoletes=1
gpgcheck=1
plugins=1
metadata_expire=1800

# PUT YOUR REPOS HERE OR IN separate files named file.repo
# in /etc/yum.repos.d

exclude=xine-lib

parish
4th February 2007, 08:15 PM
I also use the global exlusion for things I never want to update automatically, like for example the kernel (I always build mine from scratch).

Daniel

fedoraphile
6th February 2007, 01:39 AM
As a follow up to ilbh's initial post about dependency issues with xine-lib, xine-lib-1.1.4-1.fc6 and xine-lib-moles-1.1.4-1.fc6 were recently released. Together, they resolved the dependency issue that ilbh described. To get xine-lib, however, I needed to remove the global exclusion on it in my yum.conf file. Occasionally, I've had to wait a day or two like this for the additional updated files needed to resolve all dependencies. Patience is a virtue! :)

P.S.--Installing the new xine-lib and xine-lib-moles also seems to have cured the sound delay problem I was having with mplayer, xine, and totem http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=120045 :D