PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions

blacksheep
3rd February 2007, 08:59 PM
Hi,

switched from Ubuntu to Fedora because Ubuntu won't recognize my raid, even not when using the Live-CD and using dmraid trick. I've got a few questions.

1.) I used an old Fedora Core 5 DVD to install Fedora. Next i used the online updated. Do I now have Fedora Core 6?

2.) The online update seems to have installed a newer kernel, I don't know! At least Grub is offering me another menu entry. But when trying to load linux from the new grub entry then it gets a kernel panic because it didn't recognize my raid array. What do I have to do when upgrading to another kernel while having a raid array? The old grub menu entry still works fine...

3.) Are the (yum) repositories well updated?

Thanks in advance. Regards,

blacksheep

ongola
3rd February 2007, 09:11 PM
Hello blacksheep,
i 'll reply to question 1 and 3.
About Question 1) ... When you update your system, you are only updating all your packages. The best way to get Fedora core 6 (FC6) is to go to http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ and choose a link to download it.
About question 3 )... The yum repositories are well updated. Yum choose mirrors randomly but you can choose your own at http://fedora.redhat.com/Download/mirrors.html .

bob
3rd February 2007, 09:15 PM
Welcome, Blacksheep!

Unless you've specifically gone through the upgrade steps with yum, which isn't recommended, you've still got FC-5 installed. FC changes kernels periodically but, by default, keeps your old kernel plus the new kernel so you can test and have a good one to boot back into in case things don't work properly.

I don't have raid on my system, so I don't have much input to that, but you can continue to use your old kernel to boot from for now and try to work out the problems with the new one.

To save space and so the menu won't become extreme, FC keeps only those two kernels and from then on, it deletes the oldest kernel when a new one is added. There's ways around that if you find you need it. If you want to change the default boot to your older kernel, open a terminal, sign in as root (su -) and then 'gedit /boot/grub/grub.conf' . You'll see 'default' which is normally set to zero since the computer counts up from zero. So, if the older kernel is the second entry, change to 'default=1'.

Yes, the yum repositories are updated daily and should have very current versions of software. Of course, there's always exceptions to that rule. Some new versions may not work well with FC and are not included or require dependencies that FC has a problem with.

blacksheep
3rd February 2007, 09:16 PM
Thanks for your help ongola. I am already downloading the Fedore Core 6 DVD. Guess it'll be a long night ;)

bob
3rd February 2007, 09:19 PM
Good choice! FC-6 is an excellent version and you should be happy with it. If you want to minimize the updates, consider downloading from here: http://torrent.fedoraunity.org/ which has much more current software than the 6-month old 'official' releases.

blacksheep
3rd February 2007, 09:20 PM
Hi bob,

thanks to you, too. I guess I'll have to figure out how to get the raid array recognized by the new kernel by myself.

blacksheep
3rd February 2007, 09:22 PM
*argh* The hint with the update DVD image came too late, I've already been downloading the official DVD via BitTorrent and my download is currently at almost 3 GB ;)

bob
3rd February 2007, 09:26 PM
Okay - just do a minimal kind of install. Don't load up the packages too much from the DVD, since most of them are older now and you'll just be spending more time during the install and then updating them, rather than just installing fresh ones directly from the repositories.

blacksheep
3rd February 2007, 09:28 PM
Oki, got that :)