PDA

View Full Version : Last Gasp for Windows - Napster

yafizicist
3rd February 2007, 05:07 PM
Greetings you fantastic Fedora people,
This is my first post so please be civil!
I started my Linux journey with Suse and Fedora at the end of last year, and have been completely blown away. I am a physicist and c++ programmer, and the wonders of command line coding and compiling on Linux, compared with the stupid and inefficient Visual Studio IDE, has me convinced. Apologies to any VS hardcore users, but as a c++ newb as of last summer, i have to say that both Visual Studio and the msdn website are repellent to anyone starting out.
Anyway to the crux of the matter!
I am inches from dumping windows on my laptop, i find the whole dual-boot process unwieldy, and would love to convert 100%. I can adjust to the gaming situation, my laptop struggles to play oblivion at any rate so new games are hopeless, and old games have much better support on linux. the only real problem is Napster.
I use Napster for all my music needs, and love it. The interface is great, the ease with which music can be searched and downloaded is faultless, and i'm addicted. The fact that with subscription i can basically rent music - my attention span is not so long i want to keep everything for ever - suits me perfectly. It's a pain having to choose from a handful of devices for Napster to Go, but i mainly listen to music on my laptop anyway.
So, has anyone got Napster to run and play music on Fedora, and can they let me know ASAP so i can drop my Bill Gates Lifetime pension subscription?
Thanks a lot
Ben

Mat
3rd February 2007, 06:55 PM
you could always use vmware to have windows within Fedora.. at least until you find an alternative for napster..

Mat

yafizicist
4th February 2007, 12:06 AM
Yeah, that may be the best option - i've had suse and fedora running with vmware on windows, doesn't have quite the same satisfaction though for the long term. Wine has a napster section, but no one seems to have been succesful yet. May be an option for the short term, thanks.

Mat
4th February 2007, 12:15 AM
yup, it's not the same as a native (or even wine-) solution but it definitely beats dual-booting

Mat

yafizicist
4th February 2007, 05:05 PM
Thanks Mat,
do you know if there are any tiny little windows distros i could put on a virtual machine?

Mat
4th February 2007, 07:15 PM
no, since a virtual machine contains a complete windows install it would be illegal to distribute them..

you'd need to take your own Windows CD and install it yourself

Mat