PDA

View Full Version : Beryl screenshot option gone after update

Trel
3rd February 2007, 06:47 AM
I updated beryl through yum (no special repos yet).
I now do not have the screenshot option working. I have something that says screenshot, but it only allows a mouse command and that doesn't work anyway. Anyone know what happened to the one before the update?

jdeslip
3rd February 2007, 08:01 AM
You are lucky you got the new beryl to work at all - see this thread: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=146283

I believe the current version on extras is a bit buggy. I'd drop back to the previous version and wait for the next packages, which should be soon because Beryl released 0.20 RC1 yesterday.

-Jack

Trel
3rd February 2007, 08:19 AM
how would I do that?

jdeslip
3rd February 2007, 08:29 AM
yum remove beryl beryl-core emerald

then go here http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/6/x86_64/ (or replace x86_64 with i386) and download all the old beryl and emerald packages (including aquamarine,bcock,heliodore).

Then rpm -ivh all of them.

-Jack

Trel
3rd February 2007, 08:47 AM
thank you
(page isn't loading, if I have show stopping problems with beryl before I can access that site, can I stop it from running by using a failsafe session and removing it?)

jdeslip
3rd February 2007, 09:06 AM
You mean you have it set to load when Gnome and KDE load? Well, you can always do ctrl-alt-f1 (or f2-f6) to log in in text mode and do the yum remove command that way. I am not sure why the i386 site is taking so long to load all of sudden. You can also download the files from one of the mirrors here http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html (just go to the extras and then fedora 6). For the west coast this particular mirror seems good: ftp://limestone.uoregon.edu/fedora/extras/6/

Trel
3rd February 2007, 07:13 PM
I have it set to load with KDE, I don't have Gnome installed ATM. I'll try one of those mirrors, but right now, It is working except for a few things so I'm not that upset in the mean time, I can probably wait until the next version hits the repos.

nick.stumpos
3rd February 2007, 07:33 PM
you dont have gnome installed at all? i believe by default the beryl from the fc repos uses gnome-screensaver to take its screenshots, I may be worn, but it wouldnt hurt to open the beryl-settings-manager, and take a look at the commands, and make sure your not trying to use a program you dont have.

Trel
3rd February 2007, 08:42 PM
It looks like I have gnome installed after all, I don't remember selecting it during the initial install.
I also found that when I set the screenshot call to Print, it doesn't work, but <Shift>Print DOES work.

However, I have another question, I'm not sure if I should make another topic, but currently after the upgrade, beryl is only giving me 2 desktops and not 4, and I cannot get it to go to 4, you know why?

ryptyde
4th February 2007, 02:04 AM
I have Beryl 0.2.0 beta 2 and on my US keyboard there is a "Prt Scr/Sys Rq" key that works for taking a shot of the whole screen and then if I press and hold the "Super" key then select an area with button number 1(left) and then release it just takes a shot of the selection.

Trel
4th February 2007, 05:30 AM
ryptyde, my problem is taking a screenshot of the whole screen, if I have the button bound to Prt Scr, it doesn't work, only if I bind it to Shift+Print Screen does it work.

Seve
4th February 2007, 06:12 AM
Hello Trel:
This may or may not help, however, if I recall correctly you use KDE ?
If so, log into Gnome and launch Beryl and hit the PrtScrn key and it should capture a full screen image. Then open any app and hit Alt PrtScrn and it should capture a shot of that app.
Then log out of Gnome and back into KDE and launch Beryl again.
Then try the same thing as you did in Gnome and see if the results are different

Seve