PDA

View Full Version : Yum broken?

Contrid
1st February 2007, 11:00 PM
Hi there,

I just installed Fedora Core 6 using two discs.
When I try executing an installation command in the terminal with yum, I get the following message :

Existing lock /var/run/yum.pid: another copy is running. Aborting.

How do I know if something else is really using yum, or if it's actually broken?

Thanks for your help.

Contrid
1st February 2007, 11:03 PM
Ok...I manually deleted the lock file using :

rm -rf /var/run/yum.pid

...but I hope it won't do any harm...

Contrid
1st February 2007, 11:03 PM
No luck...
Even after doing that, it keeps on locking up.
Maybe an updater is running !?

sideways
1st February 2007, 11:06 PM
When you first install the update process takes ages, and you will have to download several hundred mb of updates to be fully uptodate.

Either wait for it to complete or kill the yum process ((type 'su -' then 'ps -ef | grep yum) and look for the process id on the left, then type kill <process id> (or kill -9) if that doesn't work), you may also have to manually delete the yum.pid file)

If you don't want the updater to run automatically then remove the daemon by typing 'chkconfig --del yum-updatesd'.

Then you can run yum update in your own time (it will download hundres of mb of updates, so do it overnight)

marcrblevins
1st February 2007, 11:07 PM
You freshly installed FC? When reboot, yum is already running everytime at bootup this takes a long time, first time only. Let the yum process do its job. That is yum-updatesd.

Contrid
1st February 2007, 11:17 PM
Thanks alot guys. I appreciate the feedback.

I guess I'll let the updater finish running. I've tried to kill the processes and delete the file, but the process keeps on recreating itself. How annoying.

Actually...I just wanted to install some dvd plugins/codecs to watch a movie since I took the day off from work. :D

Contrid
1st February 2007, 11:18 PM
Btw...is there any way of viewing the status of the udpater?
I'm used to synaptic package manager...not yum...so it's a new thing to me.

sideways
1st February 2007, 11:30 PM
When the initial repository data is downloaded a taskbar icon should appear indicating that updates are available. If this isn't appearing then try killing off the yum process as outlined above and run 'pup' from a command line (type 'pup &' in a terminal as root)

pup is the fedora graphical package updater (a gui frontend for yum update)

Contrid
1st February 2007, 11:36 PM
When the initial repository data is downloaded a taskbar icon should appear indicating that updates are available. If this isn't appearing then try killing off the yum process as outlined above and run 'pup' from a command line (type 'pup &' in a terminal as root)

pup is the fedora graphical package updater (a gui frontend for yum update)

I came back to let you know that the updates completed.
The panel system tray notified me that updates are available. (i'm applying them now)
Thanks again for all the help. I appreciate it. ;)