PDA

View Full Version : most favoritist Audio library/player evar?

schwim
1st February 2007, 09:51 PM
Hi there guys,

Being on d-up, it's beginning to get to be a drag to keep downloading apps and trying them to find out that it's not quite what I need.

I'm looking for a audio player/library management app for my music(must handle .mp3's). I currently use FC5's default(sorry, not home right now, and can't remember the name), But I don't care for it very much. For one thing, it keeps losing track of my music, and I have to go resubscribe to the folders I'm missing. It gets to be a drag.

Can anyone suggest a zoomy audio manager/player with all the bells & whistles that works well?

thanks,
json

leigh123linux
1st February 2007, 09:56 PM
Hi there guys,

Being on d-up, it's beginning to get to be a drag to keep downloading apps and trying them to find out that it's not quite what I need.

I'm looking for a audio player/library management app for my music(must handle .mp3's). I currently use FC5's default(sorry, not home right now, and can't remember the name), But I don't care for it very much. For one thing, it keeps losing track of my music, and I have to go resubscribe to the folders I'm missing. It gets to be a drag.

Can anyone suggest a zoomy audio manager/player with all the bells & whistles that works well?

thanks,
json

I use xmms

sideways
1st February 2007, 10:14 PM
xmms is pretty good, similar to winamp in windows.

However, Amarok is probably what you need if you want to manage a large music library, it has lots of bells and whistles (artist info & song lyrics appear if available from the internet, usb media devices are handled fairly well also)

su -
yum install amarok

paul matthijsse
1st February 2007, 10:22 PM
I second the amarok recommendation, it pleases me even more than xmms. Song lyrics are a strong point of amarok, next to the easy album navigation.

parish
1st February 2007, 11:05 PM
Make that three for amarok. Motivated me to put my entire cd collection on my computer.

Daniel

JonC
1st February 2007, 11:09 PM
amarok vote four here

leigh123linux
1st February 2007, 11:10 PM
xmms is pretty good, similar to winamp in windows.

However, Amarok is probably what you need if you want to manage a large music library, it has lots of bells and whistles (artist info & song lyrics appear if available from the internet, usb media devices are handled fairly well also)

su -
yum install amarok

I will give amarok a go

sideways
1st February 2007, 11:21 PM
Because I have most codecs installed on my machine already I didn't think to mention the extra steps required to enable mp3 playback etc in amarok. (Fedora doesn't enable this by default)

There are many guides, here's just one

http://fedorasolved.org/multimedia-solutions/amarok/

(btw, although amarok is designed for kde, it works just fine in gnome)

leigh123linux
1st February 2007, 11:37 PM
Because I have most codecs installed on my machine already I didn't think to mention the extra steps required to enable mp3 playback etc in anarok. (Fedora doesn't enable this by default)

There are many guides, here's just one

http://fedorasolved.org/multimedia-solutions/amarok/

(btw, although amarok is designed for kde, it works just fine in gnome)

Yes I noticed it was kde based , But I like the playlist arrangement :cool:

Have you got a debian howto for the codecs ;)

paul matthijsse
1st February 2007, 11:39 PM
Can't remember those extra steps. When the codecs are installed, Amarok just runs fine, no?
And I can second for the second time that Amarok runs well in Gnome.

sideways
1st February 2007, 11:55 PM
Have you got a debian howto for the codecs ;)

what's debian? :D

BandC
2nd February 2007, 12:16 AM
There is also a Gnome (GTK+) program called Exaile. It sorto attempts to be Gnome's AmaroK.

http://www.exaile.org/trac

schwim
2nd February 2007, 01:37 AM
Hey there guys,

Thanks very much for the suggestions! I'm trying to use Amorok, but I'm having a little problem:

When building the music db, I get this:

Sorry, the Collection Scan was aborted, since too many problems were encountered.
Advice: A common source for this problem is a broken 'TagLib' package on your computer. Replacing this package may help fixing the issue.
The following files caused problems:
/mnt/media/My Audio/Ozzy Osbourne(Black Sabbath)/Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train.mp3
/mnt/media/My Audio/Rammstein/(Rammstein) Sehnsucht [Europe] [06] B√ƒ¬ľck Dich.m
/mnt/media/My Audio/Eagles/(The Eagles) Eagles Greatest Hits Volume 2 [05] The Sad Caf√ƒ¬©.m
/mnt/media/My Audio/Eagles/(The Eagles) Eagles Greatest Hits Volume 2 [05] The Sad Caf√ƒ¬©.m

Ok, we all know that it's hanging up on the accented e. Does this mean that I have to sort through the 5,000+ song files to edit the id3 tags of every offending song? Does anyone know how to get it to simply skip the song if it errors out? It just keeps trying the same song, so of course too many problems will be encountered.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, as it looks like an awesome app.

thanks,
json

parish
2nd February 2007, 01:54 AM
Advice: A common source for this problem is a broken 'TagLib' package on your computer. Replacing this package may help fixing the issue.
I didn't do anything special when I installed amarok and it handles special characters fine. What version of taglib is installed? I'm using taglib-1.4-5.fc6.

Daniel

schwim
2nd February 2007, 02:07 AM
Hi there parish,

It was installed today (I didn't have it on this computer), so I would assume that it was the latest version offered in "Extras".

thanks,
json

sideways
2nd February 2007, 02:08 AM
Where is /mnt/media/My Audio?

Is it local or on a remote machine? The problem might be due to how it's mounted
eg http://dee-ann.blog-city.com/amarok_driving_you_nuts.htm

Otherwise you may have to change the default database from SQLite to MySQL in Settings->Configure Amarok->Collection->Collection Database

DMD
2nd February 2007, 02:09 AM
AmArOk fo' sure

schwim
2nd February 2007, 02:52 AM
Hi there guys,

Thanks very much for your help and suggestions. Here where I stand(I should have explained it better to begin with):

It's finding the music on the remote drive. If I add the whole of my collection to a playlist, it shows up and plays just fine.

If I understand the help files correctly though, to get all the doozy stuff to happen, I have to "build a collection". To do this, I pointed it to my remote folder, and let it start. It gets to 100%, then about 5 minutes later, the error I posted above shows up.

1) I switched db format to MySQL(UTF 8, general), but still get the same error
2) I already mount cifs(not samba), so I don't think the link to the mounting fix applies to me. Also, she updated her post to reflect that her problem has returned.

So, the music plays, the info shows up, I just can't build a collection ???.

thanks,
json

parish
2nd February 2007, 02:55 AM
Where is /mnt/media/My Audio?

Is it local or on a remote machine? The problem might be due to how it's mounted
eg http://dee-ann.blog-city.com/amarok_driving_you_nuts.htm

Otherwise you may have to change the default database from SQLite to MySQL in Settings->Configure Amarok->Collection->Collection Database
Although I've been using amarok with postgresql for the last week or so, I originally set it up with SQLite and it handled special characters just fine with either. Perhaps it does have something to do with how the file system is mounted as mentioned in this article.

Daniel

Edit: A little slow on the draw, I see you've already covered it Json.

sideways
2nd February 2007, 02:58 AM
That's a shame. :(

I have ~10Gb collection of music on a remote nfs share, and the collection builds in about 5 minutes, no errors.

I haven't tested it with cifs, maybe this is a bug in Amarok. (I have lots of foreign characters in titles in my classical music collection)

schwim
2nd February 2007, 03:13 AM
Hi there guys,

I really appreciate your help.

I've been browsing the application forum, and the developers seem to feel that it's a GCC stack smashing bug. I'm going to move all of my folders out of my media folder and import one group at a time(ugh). I'll see if I can isolate the problem. The guys on the forum state that as they fix the problems, Amarok begins erroring out on files with no special characters at all, so the problem probably has nothing to do at all with that.

I really, REALLY dig the system, and hope I can get it to work. In fact, I may cry like a little girl if I can't get it working....

thanks,
json

sideways
2nd February 2007, 03:19 AM
schwim, my music files are on a dual-boot system, I'm gonna boot into windows, mount the drive with cifs and see if I can replicate your errors

schwim
2nd February 2007, 03:48 AM
Hi there guys,

I think I got it. I altered the mount command to include the fmask and dmask, and it loaded all of my files without issue(quickly too).

I was impressed initially with the program. Now I'm astounded. CD covers, lyrics, etc. It's incredible.

If I break it again, I'm going to have to hold someone hostage :)

I do have one question though, in case someone else has this problem.

If I click on musicbrainz, the page loads fine. If I click on any of the options for lyrics(like add, or edit), the block opens that downloads the php file, then it sends it to the browser which instead of opening it, it tries to save the php file. I've switched the browser from Konqueror to Firefox, but the problem persists.

Does anyone else have this problem? I found a person on the Amarok forum, but switching away from Konqueror solved it for them.

thanks,
json

sideways
2nd February 2007, 03:49 AM
The collection built fine (except for a problem with Morrissey's Bona Drag??) with cifs mounting, although it took 4 times as long for some reason (~20 minutes) (This may be due to vagaries with my wifi router)

But I noticed that all the file names are anglisized ie they don't contain foreign characters, so I was wrong to say that I had foreign characters in my music library filenames.

Hmm, so Amarok can't handle these filenames - that's definitely a bug worth reporting to the project team:

http://amarok.kde.org/ (Report Bug/Wish)

EDIT

oh wow, you solved it yourself!! great

here's my /etc/fstab entry to mount the windows partition

//192.168.1.2/L_DRIVE /mnt/win_l cifs user=james,password=,setuids,noperm,uid=500,gid=50 0i,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,ro 0 0

parish
2nd February 2007, 04:30 AM
If I click on musicbrainz, the page loads fine. If I click on any of the options for lyrics(like add, or edit), the block opens that downloads the php file, then it sends it to the browser which instead of opening it, it tries to save the php file. I've switched the browser from Konqueror to Firefox, but the problem persists.
Hi Schwim, maybe I'm misunderstanding, but to use lyrics I run the script Lyrc from the menu Tools/Script Manager/Lyrics and then when I select the lyrics tab while playing a song, they are downloaded and displayed automatically. If I select Edit, I can edit the lyrics, but, like you describe, if I select Add, I get the save dialog. Doesn't seem to matter though since I can see the lyrics without doing this. BTW, where are you clicking on muscibrainz? I don't seem to have the option except in the edit track information dialog.

Daniel

schwim
2nd February 2007, 04:41 AM
Hi there parish,

In the pic I attached, it's the dual tone brain to the right of the album pic. When I click that, it opens the loading block, sends it to firefox, then firefox opens up a very simple page with a tmp dir URL(local, IIRC).

I was hoping to use the "add" feature of the lyrics system to add lyrics that weren't found, but it just tries to save the file.

thanks,
json

parish
2nd February 2007, 04:49 AM
Hey Schwim,

Got my eyes wide open and I still can't see a thing! Never even occurred to me to click on that! In any case, it behaves for exactly as you describe.

Daniel

RupertPupkin
2nd February 2007, 06:06 AM
Hey there guys,
Thanks very much for the suggestions! I'm trying to use Amorok, but I'm having a little problem:
When building the music db, I get this:
<snip error messages on Eagles songs>
Maybe it doesn't like The Eagles? :p

I tried Amarok a while ago, it was nice but too bloated for me. Now I use Cynthiune.

schwim
2nd February 2007, 06:14 AM
hehe, reminds me of "The Big Lebowski" when he gets the cab ride, and the cabbie's listening to the Eagles and he asks him to turn it off.

The Dude: Jesus, man, could you change the channel?
Cab Driver: F--- you man. If you don't like my f---in' music get your own f---in' cab!
The Dude: I had a rough...
Cab Driver: I pull over and kick your ass out!
The Dude: Come on, man. I had a rough night and I hate the f---in' Eagles, man!

As for the bloat, I dig bloat. I respect bloat. Most importantly, I embrace bloat. It's what makes me American.

thanks,
json

RupertPupkin
2nd February 2007, 06:28 AM
I love The Big Lebowski (and I hate The Eagles too :p ).

Since you have a gig of RAM, I guess bloat doesn't bother you. I'm opposed to it both on practical and ideological grounds. :)

leigh123linux
2nd February 2007, 11:05 AM
<snip error messages on Eagles songs>

I tried Amarok a while ago, it was nice but too bloated for me. Now I use Cynthiune.

Does Cynthiune have similar playlist features to Amorok or is it the same as xmms

Here what synaptic says in debian

A free software and romantic music player for GNUstep
Cynthiune is a free software, romantic and extensible music player for
GNUstep and Mac OS X. Similar in look and feel to XMMS, it can read the
most-known sound file formats: MP3, Ogg, FLAC, Mod, XM, AIFF, WAV and many
more...

mdulzo
2nd February 2007, 11:42 AM
I was having the same error with the exact same track that is listed first in your error message. I, to this day, have no idea what caused it. I tried up dating taglib, re-tagging files, the works... I eventually got fed up and deleted Mr. Osbourne's song (or at least moved it out of the directories that amarok scanned) and the error magically disappeared. Try that! haha.

schwim
2nd February 2007, 02:21 PM
I love The Big Lebowski (and I hate The Eagles too :p ).

I watch it at least once a month to restore the proper outlook to life.

Since you have a gig of RAM, I guess bloat doesn't bother you. I'm opposed to it both on practical and ideological grounds. :)

I don't have many ideals, so I try not to use them up on things like how much mem an app. uses. I save them for things like the fact that hotdogs and buns should have the same product count in the packages. I mean, come on, I can spend up to $300.00 before I get to the point that I don't have any extra of any product.

That's just wrong.

thanks,
json

parish
2nd February 2007, 03:35 PM
<...snip>
<...snip>
You know that's not so far fetched. Programmers have been known to insert little jokes into their software in the past.

Daniel

RupertPupkin
2nd February 2007, 11:28 PM
Does Cynthiune have similar playlist features to Amorok or is it the same as xmms
It's closer to xmms than to Amarok. It supports playlists and lets you edit OggVorbis/MP3 tags, but otherwise it's pretty basic. Which is how I like it. :)

RupertPupkin
2nd February 2007, 11:30 PM
I don't have many ideals, so I try not to use them up on things like how much mem an app. uses. I save them for things like the fact that hotdogs and buns should have the same product count in the packages.
You rebel idealist! The Dude abides. :)

schwim
10th February 2007, 12:03 AM
Hey there gents,

Well, it looks like I'll be unable to use Amarok, due to my inability to consistently scan the remote drive. Sometimes it builds the collection fine, and sometimes I get my errors.

That being said, does anyone know of a player that is somewhat like Amarok, that will offer a few more features than Rhythmbox?

thanks,
json

leigh123linux
10th February 2007, 01:04 AM
Hey there gents,

Well, it looks like I'll be unable to use Amarok, due to my inability to consistently scan the remote drive. Sometimes it builds the collection fine, and sometimes I get my errors.

That being said, does anyone know of a player that is somewhat like Amarok, that will offer a few more features than Rhythmbox?

thanks,
json

Try songbird

http://www.songbirdnest.com/

schwim
10th February 2007, 04:51 PM
Thanks very much for the link, leigh.

I'm trying it out now, and we'll see what they do in the future, but for right now, it seems like a browser that decided to play your music files. It's a .2 beta, so I can't be hard on it yet though.

thanks,
json

fprofeta
10th February 2007, 05:17 PM
Hey there gents,

thanks,
json
Waht do you mean? That is probably not an issue with amarok, but with samba... anyways, you will probably have the same issue with every other player. PS: amarok was the only player I could find that syncs an ipod in Linux

schwim
10th February 2007, 05:29 PM
I've used probably 10 players now for longer than a week, and Amarok is the only player I've had an issue with, so your comment (thankfully) seems incorrect. I've used Rhythmbox for well over a year, and never has it been unable to grab the remote media.

On Amarok's support forum, the list is long of other's with the same problem as I.

thanks,
json

RupertPupkin
10th February 2007, 06:05 PM
Have you ever tried MPD (http://www.musicpd.org/) , the Music Player Daemon? It was designed for network usage. There are a number of GUI frontends (http://www.musicpd.org/clients.shtml) to it.

schwim
10th February 2007, 06:29 PM
Hi there RP,

Thanks very much for the links. I've not been able to try it, as I've not been able to successfully install the daemon yet. I can get through make, but it fails on install.

thanks,
json

RupertPupkin
10th February 2007, 08:48 PM
You could just grab the RPM for MPD from livna (http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/6/i386/repodata/repoview/mpd-0-0.12.1-1.lvn6.html) .

schwim
10th February 2007, 11:26 PM
Scratch the questions concerning MPD guys. It's more of a pain than samba to set up. I just want to listen to muzak! :D

thanks,
json